Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Free Member

Hi, so I'm fairly new to the forum and analog video capturing in general, but I'd like to know more about it and be able to do some of my own projects.

I recently snagged a great deal on a JVC HR-S7900U, which I saw was on the list of great VCRs to get. However, I only have a USB capture device that can actually capture the video coming from the VCR.

What are some good capture devices that can take an s-video signal? Is a "high quality" USB converter good enough because the VCR has a TBC built in?

Or would it be worth it to invest in a ATI AIW card and WinXP system solely for capturing video?

I have a few big boxes full of VHS tapes of my own, but this also might be something I'd do for other people as well, so recommendations for both cheap-ish and professional solutions would be appreciated
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Welcome.

USB isn't inherently bad. USB is just a comm channel for computer data. The bigger issue is the quality of the card. What is it?

For USB, the ATI 600, clones, ATI AIW, couple others.
BTW, I still have a few available in the marketplace: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...ati-600-a.html

ATI AIW XP system is always an excellent choice. Those are my primary capture setups. But I have some USB as well, on Win7 systems.

More important than capture card is the full workflow: quality VCR with line TBC, external frame TBC.
Some of those also in marketplace, myself and others.

You're in the right place to learn about, and get, the equipment you'll need to do a quality job.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-02-2019, 04:29 PM
Free Member

Thank you!!

The card i have now is a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC100. It has both composite and s-video and audio capture stuff, and also comes with its own capture software but I think I'd use VirtualDub instead
06-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The DVC100 has lots of revisions, and even revisions within the revisions, and you have to be watchful for quality. I've seen color/IRE/brightness/contrast/gamma and AGC issues with it in the past. Just note that it can be hard to spot issue if you're not familiar with how the video should look.

Yes, the included Pinnacle capture software is junk, use VirtualDub.

I'd probably opt to build an ATI AIW system.

You're going to need an external frame TBC between the VCR and capture card. The VCR TBC is a line TBC, and does a different task. You need both.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs