05-27-2019, 05:53 PM
Free Member

I need a Sony camcorder with Hi-8 XR, internal TBC, S-Video output, and stereo AV output. I'm going to use an ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB on a MacBook Pro 2015 15 inch with Windows 7. The tapes were recorded on a Sony CCD-TRV45E Video8 XR (PAL) from early 1998 to 2008. We live in the U.S., but my dad got the camcorder on a trip in 1998 and it stuck with us. We have Hi8 TDK MP 120 tapes, NTSC8 8mm Sony MP 120 tapes, and two TDK HS60 8mm tapes. I don't know the exact region of the TDK tapes, but they are the majority of what we have. I was advised to get a PAL model for best playback.

Five years ago, I tried capturing a Hi8 TDK MP 120 tape and the audio was high pitched. I gave up or lost interest after that, but now I'm more determined to get this over with. I just hope my tapes haven't gotten worse. Thanks to some advice over at the VideoHelp Forum, I learned that it may be because the digital audio recorded was 32htz 8bit pcm and I might have to convert it to 48htz 16bit. I'll have to look into it once I get a new camcorder.

I've read on here that the CCD-TRVs are newer, but my issue is that I can't find a PAL one on eBay that is Hi-8 XR, has S-Video output, stereo audio, TBC, and DNR (which is recommended to be off). I found a CCD-TR840E from 1998 in excellent condition that meets all that criteria, it's just not TRV like my CCD-TRV45E Video 8 XR. Here's the manual. It's about $100 more than a comparable NTSC CCD-TRV though, but then again most of the PAL models are more expensive. I was advised that XR isn't a big deal, but I would still like it included.

My planned workflow is Hi8 TDK MP 120 tapes, NTSC8 8mm Sony MP 120 tapes, and two TDK HS60 8mm tapes (16 total)-->PAL Sony Hi-8 XR camcorder (internal TBC, S-Video output, and stereo AV output)-->ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB-->MacBook Pro 2015 15 inch with Windows 7 or Asus R500A-BB71 with Windows 7-->VirtualDub/Huffyuv-->AVI.

Thanks again for the help. Five years ago, I was all over the place, but after coming back to this recently and doing more research, I think I am very close to getting the desired consumer budget workflow I need. If my tapes don't get worse in a few more years, I'll absolutely invest in better tools, but that simply isn't possible for me right now. Below are pictures of what I currently have.

Camcorder and Tapes

AV Output

Camcorder Settings

Last edited by Duder_me; 05-27-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Free Member

I just checked the UK version of eBay and I was able to find a TRV65E and TRV66E. Both are from 1998. They don't list shipping to the U.S., but I'll try to negotiate if I go ahead with one of them. If one of these is better than the TR840E, which one should I go with? The TRV66E looks a lot like my TRV45E.
05-27-2019, 06:49 PM
Free Member

I've got both a TR840E and two TRV66Es here. I am not aware of any difference on playback other than that the TR840 outputs a blue screen even when not playing, while the TRV66 outputs no signal when the camera is in stop mode. The TR840 does not have a lcd screen. I think the V in the model number just indicates the presence of an LCD. I guess since the older ones didn't have LCDs that may have made it seem like that lack of the V means older as most of the newer ones have one. A bit confusing when e.g a CCD-TR805 is the older generation that lacked the TBC and processing of the newer ones.

Also be aware that as far as I know, all the TBC-equipped PAL Sony cameras have this issue where the rightmost maybe 8 pixels lack colour in on of the colour channels. Usually not a problem since it's in the overscan though.
05-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
I've got both a TR840E and two TRV66Es here. I am not aware of any difference on playback other than that the TR840 outputs a blue screen even when not playing, while the TRV66 outputs no signal when the camera is in stop mode. The TR840 does not have a lcd screen. I think the V in the model number just indicates the presence of an LCD. I guess since the older ones didn't have LCDs that may have made it seem like that lack of the V means older as most of the newer ones have one. A bit confusing when e.g a CCD-TR805 is the older generation that lacked the TBC and processing of the newer ones.

Also be aware that as far as I know, all the TBC-equipped PAL Sony cameras have this issue where the rightmost maybe 8 pixels lack colour in on of the colour channels. Usually not a problem since it's in the overscan though.
Wow! Thanks for clearing that up! I didn't even realize there was no screen until I noticed there was no gap on the side. I'm familiar with the overscan on the bottom, so the right side is perfectly fine. I think I'll wait until I hear back from the eBay sellers before I pull the trigger on one.
05-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Free Member

The TRV-66E was already sold, but the TRV-65E can be shipped to the U.S. I'm hesitant on that one though because I read a review of the NTSC model that said playback over a TV wasn't as good.
05-28-2019, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

FYI - if you find an item in another country and the seller won't ship to your country, parcl.com can help. I've used the service recently and it works. :-)
06-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Free Member

I finally settled on a Sony CCD-TR840E camcorder. It comes with an S-Video cable and a bunch of extras I don't need, including SCART adapters and tapes. I probably paid way more than I should have. However, right after I bought it, I noticed there is also a CCD-TRV66E available from France as well for about the same price that ships to the U.S. directly. I wish I had waited on that instead, but I'll see how this one goes. Hopefully, someone here would be willing to buy it from me for about the same price once I'm done with it.

Tags
ccd-tr, ccd-trv, hi-8, hi-8 xr, pal