Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Free Member

I have a client of some notoriety in these parts (retired boxer) and he wants me to transfer his VHS tapes.
Some are in good condition, some are quite moldy. I was wondering if a Geneva PF-740 would be a good starting point and if it can be modified, or the lid/cover be open, whilst running. I was hoping to use it as a cleaning mechanism with swabs, alcohol (for me AND the machine), and a "disposable" VCR.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Free Member

You can use a cheap VCR by removing the top cover and use surgical gussets wrapped around a pencil do not use cotton and change the gussets as they get dirty, I find it much easier with the audio head removed and use that gap for cleaning, I personally use two pencils wrapped with gussets pushing against the tape, one on the front and one on the back of the tape in one pass, It depends on the condition of the tape you may have to do several fast forward and rewind.
06-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the reply, no cotton! That is well documented, and I’m not trying to reinvent the moldy cheese wheel for sure, but this machine looked like it could be of some interest, I like the smaller footprint but I’m still poking about to see if I can learn about it’s innards.
06-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
In that other mold thread, I'm liking the idea about pre-treating mold with UV.

Then we need to figure out a good modification of a worthless Goodwill VCR. Preferably a model with a slower RAW/FF than not. I don't want to handwind, but I also don't need it to snap in one of those jet engine models of the late 90s and early 00s (made for impatient people, remember "Be kind, rewind!" ... or Blockbuster will charge a rewind fee!).

We also have an Israeli gas mask that I use for stuff like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Respirator-Pr...language=en_US
https://www.amazon.com/Respirator-Pr...language=en_US

Youtube how-to's are made by morons, and there's never been a good consensus method online for moldy VHS. But I think we're finally getting one together on this site this year.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
cleaning, geneva, mold, vhs