Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Free Member

Thanks for your suggestion jjdd, I decided to burn the ISO file to a CD this time and installed it from there, looked like everything was going well, but still didn't get a confirmation message at the end. Is an ATI program supposed to appear in the start menu, or are the drivers already installed somewhere so i can just capture via VirtualDub?

Still getting the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager, even after i did the power off method you suggested.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Free Member

ok hmm you only need graphics card driver + WDM drivers for VirtualDub to work

is the yellow exclamation mark on the graphics card driver or on the WDM drivers

when i did have yellow exclamation mark it was on the WDM drivers but the power down reboot did fix it

hmm try to uninstall the WDM drivers from device manager and then do the power down reboot thing again and then start the computer again

and if that does not work test other WDM driver versions

i did have little problem to install ati all in wonder 9200 but i did get it to work and it did work as good as my ati all in wonder 9000

hmm here you have some other version of GPU driver + WDM driver to test

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ati...r-archive.html

hmm for me this site was good to see what version works with what cards but i do not think you can download from there but you get info what the file name is then you can google it and download if from some site
http://www.amd-drivers.com/amd-ati-d...sion-list.html

Last edited by jjdd; 01-08-2020 at 11:52 AM.
01-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Free Member

Here's how the Device Manager looks to show the problem.

I assume the Video Controller refers to the graphic card?

I have my VCR hooked up to the capture card, but Virtual Dub isn't picking up a video source when i go to Capture AVI, so it clearly isn't working.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Device Manager.JPG (42.9 KB, 107 downloads)
01-08-2020, 04:33 PM
Free Member

You might be better off downloading and running Snappy Driver

I normally install Windows XP using Easy2Boot from a USB flash drive and a Retail ISO file.

Then I copy the installer for Snappy Driver over with a USB stick and run that to find and update all of the device drivers.

Snappy Driver is "free" as in Beer.

The Full version is 17 GB

The Lite version is much smaller and only includes critical drivers like Ethernet and Wifi for getting online, after that it can pull only what it needs from the Internet for the devices that it detects.

Myself.. I choose to not check or (disallow) Snappy Driver installing device drivers for the ATI cards and ATI capture devices , but let it find drivers and updated drivers for everything else.

This leaves Device Manager showing only the ATI All in Wonder needs a driver.

Then I insert the ATI driver disk and run that installer.

USB devices depend on a chain of device drivers that include the motherboard device drivers, the USB Host controller device drivers and the USB protocol drivers.. before it can even "see" that an ATI USB device is connected. Snappy Driver takes care of building out that bridge.

Then the ATI All in Wonder CDROM takes care of finishing off the device drivers specific to whats attached to the end of the cable.

In (Ye Olden Days)

A computer in those days would come with a motherboard driver CDROM, which you had to insert and install from after installing the bare minimum Windows XP install. Microsoft did not have device drivers for every motherboard invented. And USB Host controllers were a device "invented" after XP was launched.. so it had no native in the retail box drivers for a USB Host controller.. you (always) had to install a USB Host controller driver separate from the Windows XP installation. If your motherboard was "new enough" to have USB built into the motherboard.. they sometimes bundled the USB Host controller device driver on the motherboard CDROM.. but not always.

Snappy Driver cuts through all that confusion and simply gets what you need and pulls it down and installs it for you. Even if you can no longer find the motherboard CDROM discs.. its become critically important for retro PC builders.
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: Master Tape (01-10-2020)
01-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Free Member

Here is a picture of my all in wonder 9200 but it looks about the same for the 9000 in device manager

Red Color = Graphics card Drivers and version

Green Color = WDM Drivers and version

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ati_AIW9200.jpg (76.2 KB, 21 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: rar Ati_AIW9200_High_Quality_TIFF.rar (1.15 MB, 11 downloads)

Last edited by jjdd; 01-08-2020 at 06:57 PM.
01-08-2020, 06:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
The ATI graphics drive must be installed first. Then all the ATI WDM drivers can be installed.

I need to see the expanded Sound, Video, Game panel.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-09-2020, 05:30 AM
Free Member

Well i've now done a clean install of XP, so we now have a blank canvas, running SP0. My optical drive wasn't functioning properly due to being connected to the SATA adaptor (which according to the manual is only supposed to be used with hard drives..) but it's also good for providing power to fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The ATI graphics drive must be installed first. Then all the ATI WDM drivers can be installed.

Where can i find the specific graphics driver?
01-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
You might be better off downloading and running Snappy Driver

I normally install Windows XP using Easy2Boot from a USB flash drive and a Retail ISO file.

Then I copy the installer for Snappy Driver over with a USB stick and run that to find and update all of the device drivers.

Snappy Driver is "free" as in Beer.

The Full version is 17 GB

The Lite version is much smaller and only includes critical drivers like Ethernet and Wifi for getting online, after that it can pull only what it needs from the Internet for the devices that it detects.

Myself.. I choose to not check or (disallow) Snappy Driver installing device drivers for the ATI cards and ATI capture devices , but let it find drivers and updated drivers for everything else.

This leaves Device Manager showing only the ATI All in Wonder needs a driver.

Then I insert the ATI driver disk and run that installer.

USB devices depend on a chain of device drivers that include the motherboard device drivers, the USB Host controller device drivers and the USB protocol drivers.. before it can even "see" that an ATI USB device is connected. Snappy Driver takes care of building out that bridge.

Then the ATI All in Wonder CDROM takes care of finishing off the device drivers specific to whats attached to the end of the cable.

In (Ye Olden Days)

A computer in those days would come with a motherboard driver CDROM, which you had to insert and install from after installing the bare minimum Windows XP install. Microsoft did not have device drivers for every motherboard invented. And USB Host controllers were a device "invented" after XP was launched.. so it had no native in the retail box drivers for a USB Host controller.. you (always) had to install a USB Host controller driver separate from the Windows XP installation. If your motherboard was "new enough" to have USB built into the motherboard.. they sometimes bundled the USB Host controller device driver on the motherboard CDROM.. but not always.

Snappy Driver cuts through all that confusion and simply gets what you need and pulls it down and installs it for you. Even if you can no longer find the motherboard CDROM discs.. its become critically important for retro PC builders.
Thanks for suggesting Snappy Driver, it was a big help getting most of the drivers installed!
01-10-2020, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

After all that, i tried the 180-G01445-100 disc and still with the error. I then tried a disc with 180-V01084-100 and it seemed to install fine.. but the computer just doesn't seem to recognise it as drivers for the VGA.

Attached Images
File Type: png Properties.png (28.7 KB, 95 downloads)
File Type: png Device Manager.PNG (28.8 KB, 95 downloads)
01-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Free Member

try to install graphic card manually

like this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html

or like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ToDacCmzS8

but i do always like in the first link i post this one https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html

when you get the graphic card drivers to work then the extra devices on the graphic card pop up in the device manager and does are the capture thing on the card and it needs the WDM drivers
01-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Free Member

That motherboard (Asrock 775i65G) has a separate Intel Extreme2 graphics adapter "built-into" the chipset.

I see the same thing in Device Manager many times when I install an ATI All in Wonder.

The BIOS is supposed to switch over to using the Graphics Card which has the cable plugged into the monitor and disable the graphics card without a monitor cable. You can't have two graphics adapters active in the system at the same time.

The Intel Extreme 2 graphics adapter requires a special device driver that comes with the motherboard since its part of the chipset. Without that special device driver, it will use the generic "in box" VGA driver (or try to..) if it fails then it will simply note it with a yellow safety cone.

I think the solution will be to check the back of the computer to see where you have your monitor plugged in, and make sure its plugged into the correct video card, restart the computer and try again.

The VGA video driver is downloadable here:

VGA driver ver:14.17.0.4396
01-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
That motherboard (Asrock 775i65G) has a separate Intel Extreme2 graphics adapter "built-into" the chipset.

I see the same thing in Device Manager many times when I install an ATI All in Wonder.

The BIOS is supposed to switch over to using the Graphics Card which has the cable plugged into the monitor and disable the graphics card without a monitor cable. You can't have two graphics adapters active in the system at the same time.

The Intel Extreme 2 graphics adapter requires a special device driver that comes with the motherboard since its part of the chipset. Without that special device driver, it will use the generic "in box" VGA driver (or try to..) if it fails then it will simply note it with a yellow safety cone.

I think the solution will be to check the back of the computer to see where you have your monitor plugged in, and make sure its plugged into the correct video card, restart the computer and try again.

Ah that must be it then!! I wondered why Snappy Driver was pulling up Intel graphic drivers rather than ATI drivers.. Makes sense now. Having looked at the back of my computer my VGA cable was plugged into the motherboard, the AIW graphics card has a DVI port, so i'll need to find/order an adaptor from somewhere.

Last edited by Master Tape; 01-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.
01-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Free Member

svideo.com will have what you need in the DVI section

you can also get one from from Amazon if your in a hurry

DVI to vga adapter, its passive and cheap

svideo.com is a good site to visit because they carry a lot of specialized ATI cables no place else still has stock
01-11-2020, 04:40 AM
Free Member

I just got one cheap off ebay, should do the job. Only issue i'm having now is trying to install the huffyuv.dll file. The read me text file says to right click and press Install, but it doesn't give me that option.
01-11-2020, 05:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
I just got one cheap off ebay, should do the job. Only issue i'm having now is trying to install the huffyuv.dll file. The read me text file says to right click and press Install, but it doesn't give me that option.
I didn't catch the version of Windows your using.

But..

Lordsmurf's links warned, be sure your right clicking on the .Inf file and not the .DLL file.

(Also) before you do that be sure to right click and look for a button at the bottom that says [Unblock] sometimes, with certain versions of windows the antimalware feature will automatically [Block] any action with a file without telling you. Don't worry if the [Unblock] button is not there.. then you aren't running that version of windows.
01-11-2020, 05:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I didn't catch the version of Windows your using.

But..

Lordsmurf's links warned, be sure your right clicking on the .Inf file and not the .DLL file.

(Also) before you do that be sure to right click and look for a button at the bottom that says [Unblock] sometimes, with certain versions of windows the antimalware feature will automatically [Block] any action with a file without telling you. Don't worry if the [Unblock] button is not there.. then you aren't running that version of windows.
Ah yes, that's where i went wrong! Thanks alot
02-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:

Ok i've plugged the monitor into the ATI card, but i had to plug my motherboard into another monitor so i could actually see what was going on! But then i guess that defeats the purpose.. How do i install the ATI software if i can't see anything on the monitor?

I installed the Intel VGA driver, then the ATI 180-V01084-100 driver, restarted, but assuming it still isnt on properly if Device Manager is now displaying this.

Attached Images
File Type: png Device Manager.PNG (26.7 KB, 100 downloads)
02-13-2020, 02:50 AM
Free Member

The BIOS will be set to autodetect if another monitor is plugged into the onboard VGA connector and "steal" the video output and disable the ATI 9000 output until that card is turned on by extending the screen to mirror or extend to the Secondary ATI 9000 video card.

I don't recommend you do that, it can get very very confusing.

Disconnect the mother board from the other monitor and let the system boot up. It may take longer before the ATI 9600 output begins displaying on the monitor, but it should eventually show up, even if there is no ATI driver installed. Windows will simply detect it and assume its a plain VGA card.

From that it will run in low resolution, but you should be able to insert the ISO or CDROM and run the installer to "replace" the default Windows VGA driver with the real ATI 9000 device driver and the screen should change resolutions to something much higher.

A better faster way of seeing the BIOS screen is to pause or escape during the start up and get into BIOS and set the Video priority to the AGP card and turn off the onboard video.. so its by-passed entirely on startup. This is better for many reasons, its faster to start up, the video goes immediately to the ATI 9000, the onboard video doesn't steal motherboard ram for video use and its less confusing when using the ATI 9000 you have plugged in. Its also swifter when performing video capture since the onboard video output isn't competing for CPU cycles.. slowing everything in the system down.
02-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Free Member

I disabled the onboard graphics card in Device Manager, restarted computer, entered the BIOS, changed init. graphic adaptor priority from PCI/AGP to AGP/PCI, saved changes and exited, pulled out VGA cable from motherboard, waited an hour or two but nothing is showing up on the other monitor that's plugged into the ATI video card.
02-13-2020, 04:59 PM
Free Member

May be it’s broken.