08-01-2019, 11:21 PM
Free Member

I have two AIWHD3650 and i'm looking for either the pinout for the daughter board header or if someone could take some high res images of both sides so I can made my own cable it would be very much appreciated. (my background is hardware design) I'm assuming this card will work as most other 650 AIW cards to digitize, however there's not much info on this particular model. If I'm mistaken please let me know.

From my research they were sold under these part numbers.

ATI All-In-Wonder HD Input/Output (I/O) Capture Kits
VisionTek® P/N: [PN.900256]
Diamond SKU: [AIWHD103]
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-02-2019, 12:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
That's not a recommended card, so unlikely. It uses Theatre 650 chipset, known AGC issues. Note that they had BS marketing claiming AGC is "better", but that's nonsense. AGC is destructive on this chipset. Same for 550/750.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Free Member

Perfect thanks I'll pick up one of the suggested cards from ebay unless you have some available.
08-02-2019, 12:51 AM
Free Member

I had the exact same problem a year ago.

I bought the brand new "sealed" version without the daughter board, then went looking for the board, or another brand new "sealed" one with the daughter board.

I found the latter.

From my experience.. I do still have that daughter board, so I can get hi res scans of it. People have test pinned it out with a volt ohm meter so the pinout has been published. All this to say that situation is not hopeless.

On the usage front, what Lordsmurf says is true for SD video (capturing VHS or other analog to digital) however put this card and the Theater chips 550 and above in context. The 550 was their first fully hardware MPEG2 chip, no internal software needed to perform DVD MPEG2 profiles direct from the Microsoft Directshow drivers. But it came out when everyone was going to PVR and h.264 encoding so it was an oddball for its time.

The Later Theatre chipsets went even deeper into HDTV (1.0) PVR territory.. they were expecting to capture pure digital or YUV from a satellite or cable box. Not a common thing today.. and only a transitory thing back then.

My opinion is by this cards time they were really targeting the Windows Media Center crowd.. but Asus, NVidia, Adaptec had already been doing that for some time.. competition was fierce.

ATI was AMD by this time struggling to stay an entity in the new merger.. and ultimately its not around anymore.

Its a cool card.. just don't expect much capturing SD with S-video or Composite.. it doesn't react well.

It might do okay with Game capture.. but consider the context.
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: TheCptn (08-02-2019)
08-02-2019, 01:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCptn View Post
Perfect thanks I'll pick up one of the suggested cards from ebay unless you have some available.
Odds dictate that will end badly. eBay is notorious for defective and incomplete capture cards. Remember, this stuff is now getting to be 10+ years old, and many owners were goobers that mistreated equipment. Plus most modern eBay sellers are just resellers, and know nothing about the gear. The claims of "tested" and "works" are often wrong. eBay is gambling. If you have time/funds to gamble, go for it. If not, be wiser about where you buy gear.

Better idea = this site's marketplace: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/marketplace/

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: TheCptn (08-02-2019)
08-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Free Member

Pretty much the same thing append, I bought one wanting to do capture, but didn't realize I needed the daughter board, then bought a "sealed unit" that had a pic with daughter board but missed in the description at the end "expansion card not included" so now I have two, lol.

It would be nice to get those pics when you have time. I've searches for pin-out's but never found any, if you have a link that would most certainly work as well. In the mean time i'll take Lordsmurf as well as your own advice and purchase a different card. I just checked ebay, someone has a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB for $40 with all the cables and cd's in the original box. And I'll resurrect one of my old pc's.

*Edit: its local so I can take a look at it first

Last edited by TheCptn; 08-02-2019 at 02:02 AM.
08-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Free Member

The 9600 is the best, but coordinating getting the Weison cable and the Barney connector can be a pain, then its AGP and you need to perform the exorcism to get the drivers setup and learn what your doing. Its a good thing to do though.

The lure of the HD3650 for me was the box pictures and the PCI bus.. its just not well documented and then they finally abandoned the wicked Weison connectors.

Outside of the eternal search for the 9600, either the 9000 or the 9800 are good since they don't need as rare a set of connectors. 9000 is very old, but good.. the 9800 is not that new, its still AGP and contemporary.. maybe runs a bit hotter.. but good.

Really any of the 9000 series is "good" its a hair splitting matter of degrees except for that 9600 rare connector cable.

I will take new photos and get the pinout link and data to you.. I hate leaving an itch unscratched.. but its probably more an intellectual exercise than something you really want to pursue.

Its simply easier still at theis late date to get the "right hardware" for the task.. and shelve a project like retro fitting an early PCI HDTV card.. which has its fair number of early 1.0 teething problems.
08-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Free Member

I pickup up a 9800 with all the original cd/ cables, we'll see how well it works once I get going at it. As for the pictures for the HD3650 if you could get those to me yes it is an "itch", it's a hobby and it gives me another project to complete. so if you could I would appreciate it.

Thanks
08-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Free Member

I spent the afternoon trying to find the original sources, but the links are dead.

Recreating their lost work.

I'm attaching some photos of the board that I have. The Connector is a 20 Pin IDC with a notch in it for orientation.

The Input/Output connectors are for Composite and S-Video (only) they are not the Jumbo sized Component IN and OUT connectors on the previous 9800. They also (do not) work with the Purple Barney connector. The Barney connector has exactly one pin that is non-standard for the S-Video pin outs such that it physically prevents shoving the Barney connector into the socket. - Its a weird socket.

A "standard" S-Video din connector cable fits it but one was never included in the kit. A special Composite to card connector was included in the kit.. but its weird as well, standard Composite on one side and eight pin on the other end. They were using two of the free pins as a replacement for a plastic stick that centers the S-Video connector.. and the other pins I guess to add stability to the connector shell.

This board went by a couple names from Visiontek and Diamond who were distributing it for AMD at the time they ended the AIW program for the last time. It went for 24.95 according to Amazon.

My recollection is that Visiontek or Diamond had pity on the people could no longer buy the board and posted a pin out in the back of an FAQ some place. When I went back those links were dead and banned from Archive.org

I am pinning it out again.. but it will take time. Many of the pins are simply grounds.

The actual connections are through some sort of surface mounted LC circuit for each pin, but the component values are not printed on the parts. An actual RF engineer might be able to guess what they are. Or a schematic for a DVD recorder might have similar values on its inputs. I am guessing its a low noise filter.

To actually capture to Huffyuv you will need to use GraphEdit or the more stable Graph-Studio-Next or Graph-Edit-Plus with a graph that you create. It uses the ATI 650 capture chip.. and what I think is a digital tuner.

I am not in a position to verify at the moment, but I think MMC was not included and they bundled PowerDVD or PowerDirector with it, which was a stripped down PVR type program without a channel guide for the tuner. You don't need any of that or any of their limitations anyway.

In theory you could also use Windows Media Encoder, Expression Encoder, Windows Media Center or (today) OBS studio.. I am not certain about VirtualDub.

My opinion is a circuit board replacement would have the same dimensions and only support the S-Video Input, if the audio can be tapped from the Directshow filter for the card. That would minimize components and using a single sided board with radial leads for the caps and inductors would be preferred.. probably only two LC sets at most.

Attached Files
File Type: zip AIWHD103.zip (35.26 MB, 13 downloads)

Last edited by jwillis84; 08-04-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Tags
aiwhd103, aiwhd3650, capture kit