Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

First off let me say this forum has been a Godsend. I've learned so much and have managed to do my due diligence and not ask repetitive questions.

Now I have something I haven't seen before.

I'm only getting Virtual Dub video display (and capture) when i pause my VCR. As soon as I hit play video goes dark. I'm using VC500 as capture device.

I know it's likely something dumb but I've double checked everything.

This is happening on two different PCs, one of which I have successfully used before.

Any ideas on what I might check?

TIA
Mike
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-18-2021, 01:21 PM
Free Member

What VCR are you using? Have you tried connecting the VCR to a TV to make sure the output is working properly there? Do you have another VCR (or camcorder, or DVD player, etc.) you can try connecting up to the VC500 to see if those show the same symptom?
01-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

VCR working fine.

-- merged --

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibpete View Post
I'm only getting Virtual Dub video display (and capture) when i pause my VCR. As soon as I hit play video goes dark. I'm using VC500 as capture device.

I know it's likely something dumb but I've double checked everything.

Mike
Well, I guess it was something dumb. I was fitting up an XP PC for video capture and evidently had an incomplete configuration. Ran the VC500 set up again and now it's working. I think the big culprit was I hadn't installed DirectX.

As a side note--I had been capturing with a Win10 Laptop which was giving me the same display. I've got the XP machine working now but now the laptop is broken. Nothing changed since yesterday (unless MS pushed some crap on me) and now VirtualDub just hangs up. I can't even kill it, have to reboot.

This isn't a question yet just an observation. I was only playing with the laptop to troubleshoot my VC500 and cabling.

Best regards,
Mike
01-19-2021, 11:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibpete View Post
First off let me say this forum has been a Godsend. I've learned so much and have managed to do my due diligence and not ask repetitive questions.

Quote:
Now I have something I haven't seen before.
"dark" (luma being damaged) or total blackout?
If luma, false anti-copy is likely -- lack of TBC. What is your workflow?

Quote:
Nothing changed since yesterday (unless MS pushed some crap on me)
A reason why Win10 is a bad capture OS.

Quote:
and now VirtualDub just hangs up. I can't even kill it, have to reboot.
This is actually a reason to NOT allow DirectX in VirtualDub. Disable it in preferences.
Options > Prefs > Display > Disable DirectX
This is disabled on all my systems, because it's either unstable or messes with video values in preview.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs