Quantcast Anyone know of Mac-only Grass Valley ADVC Mini? - Page 2 - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2019, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Nice

I was hoping there was another Micronas AVF dongle out there.. I'd like to see one.

-- merged --

The EyeTV Hybrid seems to come in a 2008, 2014 and US version according to those sources.

The 2008, 2014 are EU version with the Micronas.. the US version has the TI chip instead.. sad..

[13 GB being DV encoding ]

I think this is probaby the case, the compressed settings seem to be chosen with thought as to what was popular for that platform.

On Windows the DV codec was either included free.. or there was no royalty for its use on the PC.. so while grating.. it was free.. i think it was the preferred codec for Moviemaker.

On OS X the Apple Intermediate Codec was their preferred iMovie codec for capture, editing and storage.. so no surprise there.. no royalty.. and it was the default setting for capture.

Only the Uncompressed option could be reliably played back and edited on either Windows or OS X.. but it scarfed down hard drive space like an all you can eat buffet.

All rational and predictable choices.

I like the Grass Valley AVDCmini.. no doubt.. but it seems a rare device to find.. and it seems in the recent past even on eBay its fairly priced in the 60 to 80 dollar range. Its not going to be an option too many people can pursue.

That its limited to Mac OS X (only) might detract from it even further.

I can "wish" some wacky driver find might make it usable on a Windows PC.. but lets get real here.. the TI tvp5150 is a lot easier to find and in enough products that it can be found with a little careful searching. That doesn't mean every device with a TI chip will be a preferred choice.. its just one ingredient in the soup.. but its a good start. Many other variables could make a capture dongle good or bad.

The ADVCmini will simply be my personal preferred capture device on a Mac.

-- merged --

[13 GB being DV encoding ]

I checked and the LT Video Quality, the one compatible with Windows OS, is MJPEG (Motion JPEG) 4:2:2

So the three qualities are:

LT - MJPG 4:2:2
CT - AIC 4:2:2
RT - Uncompressed 4:2:2

Q. Does ADVC Capture and its device drivers work on OS X other than 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

A. Yes, it works on OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra) on my office MacBook Pro.

So its been confirmed to work on

10.6.8 Snow Leopard (2010)
10.8.5 Mountain Lion (2012)
10.12.6 Sierra (2016)

It works best on Snow Leopard, still really good on Mountain Lion, but gets a little cranky on Sierra.. OS X 10.12.6 is the new Windows 8.0 its an awful operating system.

Funny thing.. this goes along with everything "flaky" with OS X 10.12.6 - the Installer ran in a schizophrenic Kanji + Korean font.. but completed like it should and the app seems to work without issue.. except the operating system reports miraculously.. some how.. this device created its own USB 3.0 hub and port.. on a machine with no USB 3.0.. go figure. I rarely step near a machine running Sierra.. you need a necklace of garlic and a cross... it sucks time like a vampire.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors