11-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Free Member

Hi Lordsmurf,*

Thank you for the equipment! I've tested enough tapes at it now to come up with some questions. I've looked on the forums for some answers, but I haven't spotted anything yet.* If you'd rather I create a forum post for these questions just say so.* I don't mind creating them there, just want to make sure I'm asking in the right place.

Regarding the "Soft" button on the TBC device, do you recommend it be on or off; or does it depend on the particular tape? Comparing captured frames with it on and off, I can only see very minute differences, mostly on highlights. I have a hard time deciding with looks preferable or more accurate.

Field/Frame/TBC errors is the biggest issue I'm facing.* Over half the tapes I've attempted to digitize there will be a quick flicker where there is a field, frame, or TBC error; half of some frame's fields show up out of place, covering roughly half of the display.* I've seen this a varying frequencies, on some questionable tapes (SLP/EP, multi-generational dupes) it's constant, on better tapes it might only happen once or twice.* Out of 11 tapes tested (8 commercial releases, 3 home videos or other transfers), 6 of them showed errors like this, while the other 5 weren't often enough that I could spot them.* This is with all components in the digitizing workflow.

Here's a screenshot. I can also provide a video if it's more helpful.

Home Videos.00.jpg

This is less critical, but one of the tapes I've attempted shows what looks like a TBC error similar to what's described at the bottom of this guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...k-hardware.htm.* On this particular tape this type of error shows up consistently.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Thanks again!
ShaggyDJR

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
SOFT on that unit messes with interlace. Always off.

You may be running into a tearing error, where ES10/15 is needed, not just timing error.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I picked up an ES10 off of eBay for about $85 total. Just hooked it up and trying it against one of the more problematic tapes. Looks good so far! There's a little bouncing around where I think the tearing was happening, but I have yet to see a frame tear like it was without the ES10. It should be much easier to fix the bouncing post-capture than the tearing.