08-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Free Member

Hi,
I need to capture some VHS and Mini DV in an uncompressed format.

For acquiring the VHS tapes I'm using a Panasonic NV HS 1000 with incorporated TBC.

I've read that routing the video through a Panasonic DVD recorded DMR-ES10 will increase its quality: can anybody confirm this? I've had some troubles getting the video out from the DVD recorder.to the computer so I've not been able to try it myself.

For software I'm using virtualdub, are the ATI AIW 9600 or 7200 still the best choices.or are there better alternatives?

Thanks for.your time!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
Hi,
I need to capture some VHS and Mini DV in an uncompressed format.
No one here has ever recommended uncompressed, as far as I can remember, and that goes several years back. uncompressed is kinda rough on CPU and causes i/o problems. Usually VHS is captured to lossless YUY2 using HuffYUV lossless real-time compression, which will be about 1/4 the file size of uncompressed and your CPU will thank you.

MiniDV isn't "captured". It's already a lossy digital format. MiniDV is copied 1:1 via Firewire using DV transfer software such as WinDV or Scenalyzer.

Quote:
For acquiring the VHS tapes I'm using a Panasonic NV HS 1000 with incorporated TBC.
Good.

Quote:
I've read that routing the video through a Panasonic DVD recorded DMR-ES10 will increase its quality: can anybody confirm this? I've had some troubles getting the video out from the DVD recorder.to the computer so I've not been able to try it myself.
I don't know where you've been reading, but it's not quite correct. A DMR-ES10 or ES15 is used as a pass-thru device for its line-tbc circuit, directly into a capture device. You don't use a pass-thru recorder to record in the DVR. Your Panasonic VCR already has a line-level tbc bulltin. The only reason to add an additional external pass-thru such as an ES10 or ES15 is to take advantage of their frame-sync ability in pass-thru mode or if you need a more powerful line-tbc than you have in your VCR. Be aware that using pass-thru units has a price in terms of additional processing effects that will require some extra cleanup post-capture. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...hat-do-you-use

Quote:
For software I'm using virtualdub, are the ATI AIW 9600 or 7200 still the best choices.or are there better alternatives?
They are still among the best available, especially the 9600. Very difficult to see a difference between the two.
08-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Free Member

Thank you for taking the time to answer, it's been very useful.

Sorry if the post looked a bit confusing but I was translating on behalf of my father so I might have messed up some of the terminology!