digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   JVC SR-MV45 has trouble displaying s-video? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/9999-jvc-mv45-trouble.html)

angrypoolman 09-07-2019 06:41 PM

JVC SR-MV45 has trouble displaying s-video?

So I just got this new deck to capture VHS footage and it seems to be having trouble displaying S video. I do not have a remote and am afraid that I might need that to access the menu in order to change the output to display s video. I would have thought it should display automatically, but I just don't know.

Does anybody know more about this? :(

dpalomaki 09-07-2019 07:37 PM

Do you have the manual? It should be covered.
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/DV...-55_manual.pdf

I see it offers a progressive scan mode that disables s-video output. But I don't know if it can be set to default to that mode. (A "P" lights on the display if progressive is set.)

Front panel controls look minimal and appear to cover only basic playback. My impression is you will need a remote to fully use the machine.

angrypoolman 09-07-2019 07:45 PM

That is my impression too because as you said, buttons on the front are minimal.

There is no display at all that I can see. I can see the DVD display because I can use av cables for that, but I get no signal at all from vhs

lordsmurf 09-07-2019 08:56 PM

Is it in VCR mode?
Did you put in a known-good tape, and press play?
And you're using the right-most output, as seen from backside?

angrypoolman 09-07-2019 09:04 PM

Yes I'm using the only output that is available for vhs tapes. Yes it is in vcr mode, there just is no display at all. Sound works fine of course because it actually has outputs for that, but this model of vcr for some god forsaken reason doesn't include a video output, just two audio outputs. I'll never understand why they did that.

lordsmurf 09-07-2019 09:22 PM

The default onscreen/overlay is off. That can be changed with the remote, make blue screen (instead of black/off), and enable onscreen messages. Blue screen is preference, overlay messages not suggested. When playing the VHS tape, the video shows either way, the overlay/onscreen settings do not affect this.

Remember, this is a professional model deck. Dual audio output has uses, including with capture/preview scenarios.

The DVD/VCR OUTPUT panel has 4 connection: red/white audio, s-video, and a BNC. The BNC is probably composite, but I never bother testing composite, because s-video needs to be used. By default, the video will output over s-video.

How are you trying to view the video? There's a chance your capture card isn't setup correctly. We need to know more about the full workflow.

Also be sure the s-video cables are good. Some have malformed headers, and do not (cannot) fit well into the slot. So no video is displayed because the wire isn't making contact. Be aware that forcing the header in can damage the deck, or the capture card, or both.

angrypoolman 09-07-2019 09:32 PM

I ended up ordering a bnc male to av female adapter. I'm hoping and praying that I can just use that with no problems.

I'm using the elgato game capture HD. I hooked that up to an hdmi av converter. That converter doesn't have s video, so what I ended up trying was using an av switcher that has s video. I connected the converter to the switcher and then connected the s video cable between the switcher and vcr.

I used this set up and tested it on the DVD output and it works just fine. So my only conclusion is that the deck isn't displaying S video for whatever reason.

I'm really trying to capture video for a project I am doing for my grandma's funeral on the 14th so I am trying to get this footage as fast as possible. Again I'm just praying the bnc converter works for me. Otherwise I really am at a loss at what I can do with this thing. Wish it just had a video output lol

lordsmurf 09-07-2019 09:46 PM

That was one of my decks, and I know the s-video works perfectly on it. When testing, I go straight from the DVD/VCR output into the capture card, to remove any outside variables. Then it's slotted into a workflow, meaning external TBC between VCR and capture card, using an ATI AIW for capture. Then realigned, clean, refurb, maintenance, as needed. It's a long process, very tedious, but that's what's required for a quality deck.

Composite loses quality. Then again, trying to use an HD capture card for VHS will muck up quality anyway. That's not a suggested capture method, not suggested hardware.

You keep mentioning DVD output. How, where?
There is a separate DVD-only output on the back of the unit. But do you also realize the combo unit must be put into VCR on with the front buttons, to output the VCR? The deck has LED lights on front, for VCR and DVD.

angrypoolman 09-07-2019 10:04 PM

That's how I've been doing it, I don't know what other way I would be doing it. The av hdmi converter doesn't have s video, so I could possibly try to get one that converts s video to hdmi. What would your recommended set up be? I feel like the quality has been OK I guess. I dunno.

Yeah I hooked up the DVD output to the capture card. Just because. I guess I just wanted to see if I could capture DVDs with it too and everything worked fine with that of course.

-- merged --

I managed to find this but of information regarding s video with this model JVC. This appears to confirm that a remote is indeed required in order to set the display using s video. Maybe that is what the issue is.

https://www.oceansystems.com/support...g_to_tape.html

jwillis84 09-08-2019 03:50 AM

Configuring the Setup of the Output connectors usually requires the remote for a DVR.

Sometimes you can perform a factory reset and it will default to a particular pattern.. but if there are other options, like CVBS, S-Video, RGB, HDMI or Progressive or Interlaced.. or 4.3 or 16:9 (well there are just too many options to fathom).

Then you really need a remote.

A quick and easy substitute is to get a Logitech Harmony 665 from Best Buy or off Amazon. The original JVC remotes will probably cost more used, and do come up for sale from time to time.. and those would match the owners manual best.

However a "programmable" remote like the Harmony is the quickest, simplest answer.. you plug the USB cable into your computer and download the control codes for all of the JVC MV45 remote into the Harmony from the Logitech website.

The Logitech 665 has a small LCD display which has several re-mappable buttons around the edges. In the center of the tiny LCD panel is a description of what each button will emulate when pressed. Buttons below the display page through "mapping" pages which show the edge buttons mapped to other original JVC remote buttons.

Used original remotes are "used" and they eventually fail or don't work when received. Using a universal remote with the codes that can be downloaded into it is one long term strategy.

Also Logitech has had many series of their low cost "LCD" remote, and maintained backwards compatibility with the older library of codes for devices long since deceased and no longer made.

Some companies would purge the old remote emulation codes.. or do periodic "spring cleaning".. Logitech and the Harmony line have not. So the corporate behavior has been stable and user friendly for many years.

And when your brand new Harmony 665 (eventually) wears out.. its a good bet that the latest Logitech Ubertron 9000 replacement will still be able to use the old Logitech website JVC MV45 remote emulation codes to keep communicating with the MV45.

angrypoolman 09-08-2019 10:25 AM

Thank you so much for that information, I might just go for that universal remote from best buy. I do have a remote from a JVC HR-S9600U. Is that programmable for this unit? I'm guessing not

lordsmurf 09-08-2019 11:29 AM

The AUX F1/L1 are input settings, not output.

I know the deck works. It's likely something to do with the convoluted switcher/HD workflow, which is not suggested. And these sorts of issues are exactly why it's not suggested.

Better would be pretty much any other card intended for SD capture. The ATI AIW, ATI 600 USB, 600 USB clones, etc. Which is why I use those cards, make them available -- and never "gamer" or HD cards.

I do not suggest universal remotes. Just another layer of complexity.

The JVC MBR remotes do not work on the SR-MV decks. The SR-MV decks remotes are based on the DVD recorder remotes.

angrypoolman 09-08-2019 11:36 AM

I'm sure it works too, I just feel like maybe the deck needs go be set to output s video. From the link I provided earlier, it appears that you do need to configure the settings to make it do that.

I'm sure the switcher/HD set up works because it worked just fine for the DVD portion of the unit. I just believe it's not working for vhs because the deck needs to be set to output s video for that.

I will look into those cards though. If it improved the quality then that can't be a bad thing.

jwillis84 09-08-2019 03:10 PM

No doubt Universal remotes do add a layer of complexity. And confusion.

But as a desperate measure they are better than giving up.. and really not super expensive.

The LCD window makes it much easier than the "Blind" Universal remotes where you have to remember what each button was remapped too.

That said.. there are dry spells when the original remotes can't be found.. and then they become available again used on auction sites. Even if you go the LCD universal route.. its very much worth eventually getting the original and pairing it up with the SR-MV. (But) be prepared to settle for one that is missing its battery door, has yellowing sunburn, or wonky button response. You might get lucky.. but don't get your hopes up. They are also kind of rare and came go for more than the LCD universal used.

lordsmurf 09-08-2019 03:23 PM

There are currently several available JVC RM-SDR013J on eBay, in good condition, in the $25 range.

angrypoolman 09-08-2019 06:55 PM

So I ordered a BNC to AV converter and the VCR plays the tapes great. Very happy with the purchase now, and thank you very much lord smurf for selling me this unit.

dpalomaki 09-09-2019 05:44 AM

I see the Logitech Harmony 665 runs about $50 new at Best Buy.
Most Universals are at best a 90% solution at best. Hopefully the 655 does better than that.

Having 6+ remotes on the desk can be a pain to shuffle; i.e., TV, STB, DVD recorder, BluRay Player, VCR#1, VCR#2, CD changer, etc.