Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Free Member

Does anyone know a good program to use to convert ITune files to Mpeg or DVD compliant files? I thought Tunebite Platinum or Ultra Video Converter could do it, but have failed to get a playable DVD. Tunebite converts it to WMV files and then I use ConvertXtoDVD to convert to DVD, but I don't think that is working.

Any Suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
There is no such thing as an "iTunes file". What is it? A quicktime MOV file?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Free Member

Like LS said need to be more specific, most "Itunes" movies are either MP4 or MOV

Also keep in mind that unless its an HD encode or a very high quality video file it will probably look like utter crap on the TV as the basic Itunes/Ipod format is less quality than a VCD

If you can give us the specs we can probably give you some alternate methods to get it onto DVD
03-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Free Member

M4V files is what I downloaded from ITunes. That is the type of file that is used by Apple (ITunes) exclusively. Sort of sucks that you have to pay for it but can only watch it on your computer.

I downloaded some Nora Robert (romance crap) movies for my sister-In-law. I thought I could convert them, but it has been a nightmare.
03-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You cannot convert the for-pay downloads.

The best you can do is hook the computer up to a DVD recorder or VCR and capture it. But iTunes/Apple uses a real bastardized version of H.264 compression, so you tend to have choppy video with artifacts. The iTunes files only look good on newer Core 2 Duo systems, and even then only the Mac OS X version of iTunes playing it.

This is something I'd do with my laptop.

Regardless of what you try, it's a low-res video made for an iPod screen, it's hardly worth watching on a television unless you're just really that desperate to see it. Literally "for die-hard fans only" land.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Free Member

Stupid sister-in-law, I know there was a reason I didn't like her. This has taken a lot of my time over the last couple of days. Thanks guys, I had a sneaking suspicion that it couldn't be done.