Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Free Member

How do I convert a commercial PAL disc to NTSC without losing the menu's and extras and everything?

http://www.rarevideosfortrade.com
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to rockman666 Send a message via AIM to rockman666 Send a message via MSN to rockman666 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman666
I figured out a real easy way to do it using IFOEdit. Basically you have to first decrypt the DVD using DVDShrink (if the disc is larger than the standard 4.7 gig DVD size, it will also shrink it to size)......also, you have to select the option to save it to hard drive so it extracts the files to a folder. Once that is done, open IFOEdit and open each one of the IFO files in the folder. The first line of each IFO file will bring up the main settings and some of those settings have PAL in parenthesis. All you need to do is double click each line that has PAL listed and it will bring up a menu.....just change the PAL setting to NTSC and hit OK. Then save the IFO file in the same folder to overwrite the existing one. After you do that for ALL of the PAL settings, all you need to do now is reburn it back to DVD-R and you're done. Basically what you have now is an NTSC backup of an official PAL DVD......all menus, extras, etc. remain in tact. If this sounds too complicated......buy a PAL DVD player Of course, you could always watch it on your PC using PowerDVD using DVD Region Killer to kill the region lockout of your DVD ROM.

My Transformers Website - http://www.tfrid.com
03-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That's just a cheat, however, it's not a true conversion. The framerate and resolution will still be PAL.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to rockman666 Send a message via AIM to rockman666 Send a message via MSN to rockman666 Send a message via Yahoo to rockman666
Well, true to some extent. It is just a cheat and the framerate and resolution will still be the QUALITY of PAL which is probably a good thing considering that PAL DVD is 720X576 at 25FPS and NTSC DVD is 720X480 at 30FPS so you get a better video overall although a tiny bit of picture might get cut off while watching it. But overall, I have been very happy with the results. No point in reducing the quality with a conversion that could take hours when you could spend a few minutes getting better looking results with this.

My Transformers Website - http://www.tfrid.com