Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2020, 03:37 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,
Not trying to be captain obvious but wanting to know more on how to transfer already recorded AVI material to a DVD-Video disc (not data DVD).

I have several digitized VHS AVI files (compressed with Huffyuv) which the time range from 45 minutes to 6 hours (20 GB to 152 GB). The type of DVD I'm going to be using is a single-layer DVD-R. I'm aware of the size [and possibly time limit] of these DVDs, so it's not going to be easy trying to get a 6 hour digitized VHS into a single DVD. Source AVIs are NTSC video at 720x480 29.97 interlaced, don't need to deinterlace for DVD.

I'm going to be using Vdub here since I need to cut frames and dub new audio that I've remastered in Adobe Audition (since I had tapes with low or muffled volume recording, you know, enhancing?), also need to do some 'color correction' and other picture enhancing.

Do any of you have advice on which filters, compression, and saving format I should use inside VDub for DVD delivery for quality and space? The goal is to not lose the quality of the picture but be able to fit what I can on a per DVD disc. Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2020, 04:56 PM
Free Member

EDIT: I forgot to add that I tried exporting a 5-minute cut clip from one of the 6 hour AVIs and it's taking almost half a gig to export as a new AVI. I tried Huffyuv and other compressors, and the only filters I added was the camcorder color denoiser. Remember the footage I'm working with is NOT deinterlaced nor resized. Just standard 720x480 29.97. I don't know why it's taking half a gig to export a 5-minute clip as if I never selected a compressor. Don't think adding external audio would be a cause of this.
01-31-2020, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkDaMan View Post
Do any of you have advice on which filters, compression, and saving format I should use inside VDub for DVD delivery for quality and space? The goal is to not lose the quality of the picture but be able to fit what I can on a per DVD disc. Thanks!
Hi ChunkDaMan. In order to make a DVD like the one described in your earlier post your AVI file needs to be encoded into a different file format called MPEG-2. As I am certain others will explain, your Huffyuv AVI file is a lossless intermediate video file which is very data dense. This type of file is perfect for image cleanup and restoration using software such as AviSynth. Only after overscan masking, color correction, noise reduction, and other such filters have been implemented to your Raw AVI capture file should you re-encode your restored AVI file to a DVD compatible MPEG-2 file.

There are a number of free MPEG-2 encoders available that deliver reasonable quality results, but you must understand a few basics about MPEG-2 encoding in order to get the best results. For example, you can control the minimum, maximum, and average bit-rates for MPEG-2 so that video files of different lengths will fit on a single-layer 4.7 GB DVD. A website such as DVD-HQ can help you determine how to set these variables depending on different aspects of the videos you wish to encode. http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php
01-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
it's not going to be easy trying to get a 6 hour digitized VHS into a single DVD
It can be done, and not so difficult. All you have to do is resize your video to 354x480 and use a really stingy bitrate like 2000 mbps (which is a minimum) and use a single-layer disc. Only problem: it will look like a nightmare of visual crap.

Is this 6 hours of continuous video that can't be edited into two or more smaller clips? Even at lower MPEG2 bitrates, you can't fit 6 hours of full-sized video even on a double-layer disc at decent bitrates. The formula is low bitrates = low quality, and it's true for DVD as well as for BluRay. And bitrate needs differ for different kinds of video: if you have lots of action you require full-sized frames and higher bitrates than for static video like melodramas.

Quote:
Do any of you have advice on which filters, compression, and saving format I should use inside VDub for DVD delivery for quality and space?
VirtualDub color corrects and applies other VDub filters in RGB, which takes more storage space than YUY2. I assume that you did capture in YUY2 and not in RGB -- for several reasons, the latter is never recommended for capture. To save about 30% storage space over RGB, you could save your VDub output as YUY2 and use the lossless Lagarith compressor which will save another 5% or so over Huffyuv. You can get Lagarith and its handy-dandy installer at https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html. And consider this: since your MPEG encode for DVD will be in YV12 color, you can use Lagarith to save your VDub final output working files as YV12 and save an even bigger chuck of file size (and VDub will probably save it doing a slightly cleaner job than some encoders).

But how could we possibly advise about filters and colors if we don't know what your videos look like? Anyway, it's highly unlikely that all 6 hours of that video could use the same filters and settings from start to finish. Most people cut long videos into smaller workable segments and suit the filters for those particular problems. Since you're resampling your audio, you'll need to start with the big original capture joined to to your clean new video, then start cutting away after that.

Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to add that I tried exporting a 5-minute cut clip from one of the 6 hour AVIs and it's taking almost half a gig to export as a new AVI. Anyway, it's highly unlikely that all 6 hours of that video could use the same filters and settings from start to finish.
We don't need 5 minutes of video to advise about problems. And as stated above, very likely you will have mighty different kinds of problems over 6 hours of video. About 8 to 10 seconds of YUY2 unfiltered original capture with some form of motion will suffice. If you have different problems on different video segments, make several small segments for uploading. Also note that if your samples are in RGB, your samples will have to be far shorter than 10 seconds and we can't check for proper legal YUV capture levels after they're been resampled to RGB.

How to make short video samples in their original lossless colorspace

Tags
avi, dvd, virtualdub