02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
anyone use this program. I just got it and cant figure out how to make the menus.
thankx
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Free Member

I never really liked the menus offered in the program, so I make a menu in Photoshop then just convert the .avi file to DVD then run an authoring program like TMPGEnc or Workshop to author the disc.
02-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Free Member

Billy , do yourself a favor. Buy the phillips dvd player from the megalomart. It plays dvix. HD Upconvert etc

Hit play, record on the dvdrecorder. Saves a lot of time
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Free Member

It depends what version you have of ConverX. You can usually substitute your menu photo to whatever you like. It only does title menu options, but you can choose the color,font, etc. It really does a quality job and quicker than Nero, TMPGenc or any of the others. I use it a lot to convert avi file tv shows that I have.
02-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Downloads need to have overscan adjusted in many cases. CP32, your method fails to properly fix this issue, so you lose 10% of your picture into the overscan, lots of the image is cut off on screen. See the sticky in the set creator area on how to address this.

ConvertX isn't the best as an all-in-one or "do everything" software. I've used it recently for encoding some downloaded files, included the ability to adjust for overscan in version 3. But I then import those encoded VOB files into TDA (actually, I use DVDWS2 -- rename episode VOB files to MPG), much better menus this way. Have a few rare episodes of this and that, mostly PAL (non-USA broadcasts). It sucks at trying to convert PAL to NTSC, sync issues and blurriness galore.

It does encode quickly, and the encode quality can be quite nice if settings are picked smart (highest quality encoding, not fastest, for example). On my Core 2 Duo laptop, I get about 120fps (4x encoding). It's decent for 16:9 movies and tv shows too, making no menu (back to back). I did this way on an XVID recently, from the HD feed. My recordings were interrupted from our weather problems at the time.

Most things I downloaded I watched as XVID (no conversion) on my XBOX or Philips. These are a couple of primetime shows, things I'll never give to other folks, DVDs I'll buy when released.

I hate to see members making for-keep DVD sets from downloads. It's so bottom-of-barrel in quality.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Free Member

what I download are all xvid files of episodes from shows I m trying to catch up on ( all from HDTV or xvid of dvd rips )For my family's viewing only.

No one is forced to taked them There are a few who like to collect avi/xvid/divx for ipod viewing.

No big deal. AS I stated before . Its for us to watch on our little 19 tv. Looks fine plays in sync. All I care about for this household .I go for quality with custom sets. Not for something I m only going watch once .

Crazy old smurf
02-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Free Member

Wrong again, Big, Blue, Boring Smurf! ConvertX does the best job I've seen and I've used Nero, DVDWS2,amd three or four programs I've forgotten. I always go back to ConvertX. You are right that the settings have to be right. The download quality always goes back to the source. I've seen downloads when converted were better than my sources recorded at SP off of cable. Of course the best quality is going to be recorded off of a HD signal and recorded on to disc at XP or SP, but the quality of downloads are improving versus where they were a couple of years ago. They have to be if we are going to start downloading movies and just bypass the whole Blu-Ray deal!

Regarding the PAL issues, I have yet to find a program that does a great job at converting PAL to NTSC.
02-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
MainConcept and Procoder -- real software encoders -- yield higher quality. Same for hardware from Canopus, Matrox, LSI, Zoran and a few others.

But it's not bad by any means, with intelligent settings, and good source -- both of which are often problems.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Free Member

Mainconcept and Procoder have several steps that you have to go through to get the results you want. It's sort of hands on conversion. ConvertX set up, start and wait! You are right about PAL conversions of full discs, but I haven't had any problem with PAL avi files.