Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-31-2021, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Is there a filter guide to help me decide which filter would help with which problem? I don't think I have the vocabulary to even know whether my uncompressed AVI (from VHS) has a serious problem or not. I would love to be able to see a table with before and after images to show what each filter is able to do. That would really help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-18-2021, 03:02 PM
Free Member

Hi! Thanks for the program, I'm testing it... How do I "install" or use the plugins ? Thanks
09-22-2021, 08:40 PM
Free Member

I was able to create 2:1 compressed AVI files using the huffy multithread codec but now VLC is telling me it can't decode a hymt encoded file. So far I have been only able to play it in the Virtual Dub app I used to create it. I am using Windows XP 32 bit with a TBC-1000 Time Base corrector and was converting some old family videos that were shot with a VHS-C Camcorder. Any ideas on how to convert these files or should I redo with the standard huffy codec?
09-23-2021, 12:51 AM
Free Member

VLC uses its own built-in codecs, whereas other players like PotPlayer or MPC-HC use system codecs. It's up to you whether you want to convert so that VLC can play them back, or use a different player.

To convert, first make sure the codec you want to convert to is installed. That could be standard Huffyuv, Lagarith, Ut Video, MagicYUV, etc. (I don't know whether VLC supports decoding all of these without plugins; you'd have to check.) Then load the video in VirtualDub and choose Video -> Fast Recompress, Video -> Compression, choose codec and settings, Save as AVI.

If you have a lot of videos to convert, you probably want to look into batch conversion instead.
05-20-2022, 03:14 AM
Free Member

LS, could you please set up a ZIP version of the 1.9.11 package. Then we can extract it with Windows 10 without installing 7zip (or some other unzipper).
05-20-2022, 04:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
LS, could you please set up a ZIP version of the 1.9.11 package. Then we can extract it with Windows 10 without installing 7zip (or some other unzipper).
Sure. Both let's make it a two-fer. I can update the package, and make it a zip.
Weekend task.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-20-2022, 05:02 AM
Free Member

Excellent, thanks LS.
06-05-2022, 04:43 AM
Free Member

Is this still the recommended pack of vdub to use and follow along with this guide (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ettings.html)? I just got my vhs and capture device working, and with a dmr-es10 coming this week excited to start the capture process!
05-10-2023, 07:34 AM
Free Member

I'm surprised a bit by this thread, not because of anything said that's "old", but that by 2022:
1. People are still using Vdub when I painfully weaned myself away from that around 2014 to use Avisynth instead. (I try to use Vdub strictly for creating an intermediate "huf" file before I reencode to final MP4.)
2. People are still using less than Vdub 1.10.4. However, I must warn that this version is broken in the area of changing processor priority. (Unless I forgot the trick to reenable it a bit.) Was SO sad when the Vdub forum was taken down by Phaeron, as it was a rich source of knowledge.)
3. People are still using Hufyuv when the much better MagicYuv is available. Much more compact files.
https://www.magicyuv.com/

If I'm missing something in these equations, I'm certainly open to correction.
01-01-2024, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMullet View Post
I'm surprised a bit by this thread, not because of anything said that's "old", but that by 2022:
1. People are still using Vdub when I painfully weaned myself away from that around 2014 to use Avisynth instead. (I try to use Vdub strictly for creating an intermediate "huf" file before I reencode to final MP4.)
2. People are still using less than Vdub 1.10.4. However, I must warn that this version is broken in the area of changing processor priority. (Unless I forgot the trick to reenable it a bit.) Was SO sad when the Vdub forum was taken down by Phaeron, as it was a rich source of knowledge.)
3. People are still using Hufyuv when the much better MagicYuv is available. Much more compact files.
https://www.magicyuv.com/

As someone who is only starting their journey to digitally archiving from VHS, I think the issue is finding the information. MagicYuv is very attractive, on the surface...a faster, more efficient lossless codec for encoding. However, finding videos and or blog posts that provide an "end-to-end" process/workflow that include newer tools isn't easy to come across. I say that because I'm looking...and haven't found that yet. Thus, VirtualDub (1.9 still recommended in most places, including by LS) is still the gold standard because we don't know any better.

If you have knowledge of any good resources, I would be incredibly grateful to you for helping/providing them!
The following users thank AriZoNaiCe for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-01-2024)
01-01-2024, 09:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyhat View Post
Is this still the recommended pack of vdub to use and follow along with this guide (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ettings.html)? I just got my vhs and capture device working, and with a dmr-es10 coming this week excited to start the capture process!
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMullet View Post
This is mostly for capture, not any advanced restoration. However, that said, still to this day, there are some functions in VirtualDub (such the CCD 1.7 filter, formerly Camcorder Color Denoise), that are superior to what can be in Avisynth.

Quote:
VirtualDub 1.10.x added errors not in 1.9.x, which did two things:
(1) induced more dropped frames at capture
(2) some native filters are broken, add artifacts/issues. such as resize -- and this continued into VirtualDub2 (also never fixed, even after I gave detailed bug reports to the dev at the time, who is now disappeared/ghosted as well).

Quote:
3. People are still using Hufyuv when the much better MagicYuv is available. Much more compact files.https://www.magicyuv.com/
Magicyuv is not better. It's also very spammy payware, in addition to not have any safe longevity. I would wager $500 that Huffyuv is still here in 10 years, but $0 that Magicyuv is.

Quote:
Corrected.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: kin0 (02-11-2024)