03-15-2006, 03:55 AM
Free Member

There are a couple of music videos and things available through iTunes that I'd like to download and put on disc. Since I got my new laptop back in late December, I've been pretty happily exploring the world of what's available online (and filled a few long-term wants - as in 20-year-old wants - as a result, thanks to generous fans in the UK and UKNova). I know Lordsmurf has worked with iTunes files - any suggestions on how to go about converting, and what the pitfalls might be? I'm really looking to watch it on something other than that laptop.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-15-2006, 04:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
You can't do it.

When I "converted" an iTunes episode to DVD, I had my ATI AIW card output to the tv. As far as I'm concerned, it still looked pretty bad. Apple's H.264 video codec is really crappy right now, and really CPU intensive. It's worse on PC than on Mac. Because of that, even on the most powerful Windows computer I could find, the video was choppy in a number of places. The only way I see it working clean would be on a Linux box with nothing running, but iTunes software is not available for Linux.

There are no hacks either. iTunes video is protected with Apple's DRM (digital rights management) which will not allow encoders or non-Apple players to play the video.

I mean, sure, you can do it. Will you be 100% happy with it? I know I wasn't.

Another issue is that iTunes video is optimized for teeny tiny iPod video screens. On the computer and tv, it's really not so hot. It's about on par with your average torrents or usenet binaries, and that's sort of crappy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Just wondering, what if I ran the video out of my iPod to my DVD Recorder? Any difference. First I need to get the video cable, but it's a thought.
03-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's the one thing I've not tried. I wonder how it will deal with sizing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs