Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Free Member

Hello,
I use as source a Canon Vixia HF21 camcoder. It records 60Fps interlaced 1920x1080 resolution at 24Mbps. I believe that is the AVCHD spec. the closest thing to Bluray for the common man.
I then author the movie using Sony Vegas. I can make beautiful movies for web or PC viewing using the guides for Vimeo for example. But I'm less than satisfied with quality when transferring to DVD. I use Windows DVD maker, or DVDFlick, Roxio, Vegas, others, etc. never get what I expect.
I just read this:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...nd-sources.htm
But still have a few questions:
Are the flat, plasma or otherwise "HD" tv's of today still bound by the same constrains as in that faq?
Should I leave my output as "interlaced" for watching on these things? Will it do "on the fly" deinterlacing, how to get it to do it?
When I play commercial DVD's they seem fine. My own look fine on the PC. What is the best way to turn this "input" into quality home made DVD movies? so that my player/plasma combination plays them as beautiful as commercial DVDs? What settings I should choose?
Thanks for any help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Free Member

Windows DVD maker and Roxio are both complete rubbish.
i have never tried DVDflick or Vegas so i cant comment on those.
i use Cyberlink Powerdirector 9 and DVDfab

DVD is only SD. why not burn that HD footage to Blu-rays?
i dont know what TV you have but anything SD looks like crap on my 42" Vizio
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Free Member

Those two look very good. But Vegas should match them or best them, just look at the price! I'm not willing to spend more to get a similar product.
Maybe I'm a little behind on media. I think Blu ray blanks are expensive and hard to find? If this has changed please let me know. Imagine a huge Blu ray almost empty with 1 little home movie?
I know after watching blu rays DVDs do look crappy in these modern tvs. But It's still the best as DVDs go. My home mades are worse.
Back to the topic, the software is probably similar. What "settings" should I look for to insure optimum quality for viewing the home made DVD in a home player with modern flat HD TV?
Always considering my "source" in mind:
What's the aspect ratio to choose?
What Bitrate?
What Framespeed?
deinterlaced?
Sampling rates?
Compression methods?
etc.
Anything that will make it the best possible for this type of input/output?
Thank you
01-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Free Member

what are you using for a home DVD player and TV?

BD disks can be had anywhere - Wal-mart Target Newegg
$1 a piece if you shop around
01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Free Member

Ok I have various. I guess the "worst case" scenario at home is this:
Bose "lifestyle" DVD player to Panasonic "viera" 42" HDTV.
I'm amazed at the BD blank prizes nowadays. That may be a solution for myself at home. But for other relatives whom may not gone bluray yet, I would still like this info please.
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Free Member

my mother has a Viera and it is nice - i like it better than my Vizio
the Bose DVD probably probably not so much.

even the bluray players are very cheap now.
i bought 3 brand new LG Blu-ray players from Newegg for $60 each to give as xmas gifts.
they even had built in wi-fi for netflix and stuff.

the other info you need i wont be much help with as the only dvds i ever burn are for VHS transfers which isnt what you are doing

there is a good write up on bit rate somewhere on here - just use the search

there are quite a few experts here that may chime in.
01-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Free Member

I am definitely not an expert and only may partly answer some of your questions mostly regarding the using of blu-ray files and that are already compliant with blu-ray specs.
My little knowledge of high def. cameras...I can only say it appears to me the makers of those cameras made sure they made it difficult to get it onto blu-ray without jumping through the hoops.

At minimum, you will need a blu-ray player to playback either blu-ray discs or AVCHD discs.
If you wanted to bypass making discs, there may be some hardware media players that would play the files to your tv, perhaps straight from camera (not really sure about this, you could research it and see what info you find).

You can make AVCHD disc with a DVD burner and then play it back on a blu-ray player, at least that is what I have read.
An AVCHD disc amounts to putting high def. on a DVD disc.

If you want to get a blu-ray burner, prices aren't too bad on them and like mentioned the disc can be had from about a $1 to $2 each.
The very best software for writing to discs, whether dvd or blu-ray is IMGBURN.
I usually use the write speed of 4X for writing to blu-ray with very good results.

Getting your source compliant will be the first hurdle, there are sites that have that info about compliant BD files.
When your file is compliant, there are several choices of both freeware and payware that
can take a blu-ray file and convert it to dvd format.
3 right off the top of my head are Multiavchd, BD Rebuilder and ConvertXtoDVD.
The first 2 are freeware...Multiavchd is buggy but the only freeware available that can actually author a (menu-ed) blu-ray file ready for burning to disc.

BD Rebuilder can re-encode a dual layer Blu-ray to single layer or take a blu-ray and convert it to dvd with very good quality. It can also take some other input formats and output to some different formats.

ConvertXtoDVD can convert a blu-ray disc file to DVD but the quality isn't quite as good as BD Rebuilder but it can convert the file a lot quicker.

Both Multiavchd and BD Rebuilder can make AVCHD files.

I don't know if any of these can deal with the non-compliant blu-ray file from your camera though, you could try them and see what happens I suppose.

If it were me....I tend to do the least I can to get the job done so...I would see if a media player could play the file straight out of the camera.
You could hook in your computer to the TV....or see if there are any hardware media players that will play the file without having to manipulate it any.

If you take the route of trying to get it blu-ray compliant, I would be curious what program(s) would get this done.
Perhaps others here have dealt with this and give some good advice.

Oh, I see you were wanting dvd for others....still getting the camera file compliant likely would be the first thing to do.
01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Free Member

My daughter just told me she has a school project making a short movie from selected chapters of Don Quixote de la Mancha. The screenplay is up to her and her group. But I'm allowed to help editing. I know without a doubt I can make a nice MOV, MKV,MP4,WMV,etc. that they can project from a pc screen. But I'll take it as a personal challenge if I can turn it into a nice quality DVD. I've never done it but I think making a Blu Ray or AVCHD is easier, degrading to DVD and having it still look good is the real challenge. That's what I want to learn how to do.
I'm downloading the BD rebuilder and do a few experiments as suggested.
01-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

For Blu-ray blanks, preferably Verbatim LTH. The other alternative is Memorex believe it or not, im pretty sure those are Ritek, thats from kpmedia doing lots of Blu-ray work the past few months flawlessly with Memorex and Verbatim which have shown to be very reliable discs.

Here are some links to a few options for Blu-ray blanks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004S6315S

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001B96HLU

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003E8C7BA