Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Free Member

Hello guys.
its my first time that i am using virtualdub..so i downloaded the 64Bit version and here goes the problem i installed the k-codec pack and when i open virtualdub and when i go to compression alot of codecs doesnt appears there heres a screenie:
http://i51.tinypic.com/14y32g9.jpg
i tried to reinstall the codec and virtualdub tons of times and no luck..my windows is windows 7 64bit ultimate i really dont know whats wrong i want to use this program so badly!!

14y32g9.jpg

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Several things going on here.

1. Remember to attach images to the forum. Instructions. Fixed the post for you.

2. Never install codec packs.

Quick History: Codec packs are the fruits of the lazy "Kazaa" generation of online freeloaders that wanted to download the world without paying for it. (That's where the "K" comes from in the K-Lite codec pack, formerly known as the Kazaa codec pack.) To make matters worse, many of the freeloaders were too lazy to install the 3-4 codecs needed to watch the videos they swiped. Instead of using Google or Altavista to locate the proper codec, they'd cry about it on forums of the day. Rather than intelligently tell others to simply install what was needed (Divx, Xvid, etc), somebody came up with the brilliant idea to just cram every codec into a single installer. Sound great, right? Well, it's not. Codecs conflict -- easily -- and the quickest way to brick your system was to install a codec pack. The damage to the Windows audio/video subsystem could be so significant that you'd have to reformat the computer and reinstall Windows. These days, it's not quite that bad, but it still causes damage more often than not. For every person that claims codecs packs work, you'll easily find two to warn you about the dangers of codec packs. In most cases, the people who claim it's fine have simply not run into an issue yet.

Installing the K-Lite codec pack is about as helpful as adding a virus to your computer.

Uninstall it. Only install codecs, one by one, as needed. There's nothing special about a codec pack. The people who create them are just swiping codecs from the official sites (often without the blessing of the codec makers), and bundling them together.

Playback software like VLC, GOM, MPlayer and KMPlayer make codec packs obsolete.

3. What codec were you wanting to use in VirtualDub? Most of the junk in a codec pack is for playback, many of them completely unnecessary, and not for capturing or encoding video. (Although the playback codecs can still screw up your system, making all codecs not work properly.) There's very few codecs that will be helpful in VirtualDub: Huffyuv lossless, Matrox VFW package, or Lagarith lossless.

And welcome to the site.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: summergleason (01-15-2013)
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Free Member

Hello admin. I did a fresh install of windows xp pro. No audio or video codecs have been installed. Should i only install VLC player or will i need to search for certain audio/video codecs? If so, what codecs are recommended?
Thanks for your time.

Sincerly,

Summer
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Free Member

For a media player?
No, you don't need any codecs of any kind to use vlc.
For that matter, there are several other players that don't need codecs as they use their own internal set.
VLC, MPHC and Potplayer.
There are several others that I didn't list that also can play almost any file one throws at them.

So don't install codec packs, only install individual codecs and only do that for a specific reason.
Make sure any codec has a good reputation.
The following users thank Steve(MS) for this useful post: summergleason (01-15-2013)
01-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Free Member

Thanks Steve for the response. I installed VLC Player mainly because it has lots of codecs in it and don't have to get codecs individually. When i installed Windows Xp Fresh, i couldn't play avi, mov, mkv, mpg2, h.264 etc. files from windows media player. As soon as i installed VLC Player, i was able to play everything. I use karaoke software called justkaraoke from tricerasoft. When i load mpg2 video files or mpg4 video files in my karaoke program i can hear it but no video is shown. I thought installing VLC would give me all the codecs I needed play all sorts of file formats from different software. I guess I need to find a good mpeg2 codec and a good mpg4 codec, just don't know which one to get.
Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,

Summer