Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Free Member

I am an educator making a non-commercial video, using scenes from commercial movies. I ripped the films with DVD Decrypter, which went fine, but went I combined the scenes using VOB2MPG, I ended up with English and French audio playing at the same time. Any idea how this happened? The scenes had only English audio in them before I sent them through VOB2MPG.

Thanks for your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by educatedguess417 View Post
I am an educator making a non-commercial video, using scenes from commercial movies.
Commercial sources are often "busy" in terms of the data present in the VOB containers. Multiple audio streams, multiple MPEG video streams, complex navigation data, subtitles data, etc. -- lots of potential problem lie within. It's not anywhere near as easy as re-editing homemade DVDs or homemade MPEG captures.

Quote:
I ripped the films with DVD Decrypter, which went fine,
It only seemed fine. While the data was probably extracted from the disc, the streams are too "dirty" with extra data to yet make them suitable for any editing or re-authoring operations. This is why we have a special guide for extracting content off of commercial/professional/studio discs. It gives some additional steps required for cleaning/purifying the data for reuse needs.

See that guide here: How to Edit Video from Pre-Recorded DVD on a Computer

Observation: That guide is a bit rough -- I'll add it to the update/rewrite queue, but know it's still accurate. .
Read carefully, don't skim! (The rewrite would be to make it more skim-able.)

Quote:
but went I combined the scenes using VOB2MPG, I ended up with English and French audio playing at the same time. Any idea how this happened? The scenes had only English audio in them before I sent them through VOB2MPG.
It's mostly because VOB2MPG isn't the right tool for handling this sort of project workflow. Not all MPEG video is the same, so it's not possible to simply merge two random MPEG clips. The various settings of both the audio and video must match. If it does not, then all hell breaks loose, as is the case here. (It can actually be much worse, so this is just a mild case of a bad merger.)

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
Glad to help, and welcome to the site.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Free Member

I did a similar project last year, merging a bunch of clips from various commercial Shakespeare films, and it came out alright, but this one is causing me more problems. I haven't read the guide yet that you sent, but is there another program other than VOB2MPG that would do the trick for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for the welcome and the help.
10-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
There's no way to avoid proper extraction, based on the information you've provided.
That it worked last time was more luck than anything else.

Once the video is extracted, Womble MPEG Video Wizard is a great tool.
-- Download here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-mpeg-vcr.html
-- Guide on using it here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...mble-mpeg.html (it's really easy to use)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs