Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Free Member

I am looking for H.264 encoding settings in MainConcept Reference.

I capture standard definition movies (typically of 2 Hours 15 minutes duration) from Satellite box via S-Video using Canopus ADVC-110 in DV-AVI format, then cut out commercials using VirtualDub. Majority of my movies lack quick action sequences, many are black & white movies. Only small number of them are full color with frequent action scenes.

What would be the best H.264 encoding settings in MainConcept Reference for the optimum file size? I have been doing DVD-Video, but looking forward to going H.264 way for efficient encoding at smaller file sizes. I am fine for 1 or 2 GB per movie.

I am confused with many options MC provides in terms of profiles, broadcast vs Pro versions, audio choice (only AAC??). Also, should I go for MP4 or MKV? (MC doesn't seem to offer MKV).

I plan to store all these movies on a HDD, connect it to a media player and watch on TV.

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-13-2013, 05:36 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

One question: 1:1, 4:3,16:9, or it doesn't matter?

This will likely require a guide. We're doing a ton of them for at least 2-3 months, and I can add this.

Yeah -- we're putting a TON of work into this site this year.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Free Member

Almost all of my movies are 4:3. Some newer ones are broadcast as 16:9.

Great. Looking forward to the guide(s). Already seen the newest guide on Avidemux MPEG-2 encoding, currently reading it.

-- merged --

Any update?

I am going to follow the advice from the below thread as far as suggested bitrate is concerned:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post13271

However, I read elsewhere that, it is better to de-interlace the DV content on computer, since a multi-core computer can perform better de-interlacing than a TV can, especially since the TV needs to do it on-the-fly. My main viewing devices will be HDTV, Computer LCD monitor, Tablet & Mobile. So to de-interlace or not?

Also, I read somewhere that the Baseline profile of H.264 doesn't allow interlacing & CABAC. What should be the output file extension (MP4)? what should be the audio code to use? It is these simple things I have been waiting for, in order to start my extensive conversion excercise.

I can wait for a full sized guide, but please help me with the above to get started NOW.
07-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
However, I read elsewhere that, it is better to de-interlace the DV content on computer, since a multi-core computer can perform better de-interlacing than a TV can, especially since the TV needs to do it on-the-fly. My main viewing devices will be HDTV, Computer LCD monitor, Tablet & Mobile. So to de-interlace or not?
You can, yes. Use Avisynth and QTGMC() on slow for the best output quality.
If you need guidance, just ask. I know Avisynth can be difficult when you're getting started.

Quote:
Also, I read somewhere that the Baseline profile of H.264 doesn't allow interlacing & CABAC. What should be the output file extension (MP4)? what should be the audio code to use? It is these simple things I have been waiting for, in order to start my extensive conversion excercise.
I can wait for a full sized guide, but please help me with the above to get started NOW.
Which version of MainConcept Reference do you have> I can take screen shots for you.
That'll help.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Free Member

Ok. I will try Avisynth and will get back with queries.

The version of MC is 2.2.0.5440. Thanks.

regards