12-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Its a good thing I check final products.

TMPGEnc has decided to munch input video. Parts of the video randomly develop judder. It looks like the field order of the video somehow got reversed midway through the video and than reverts back to normal. This is glaringly obvious during playback, particularly when a deinterlacer is turned on.

I also tried encoding the file again, and the problem still occurs in the exact same spots. But wait, it gets better. When I isolate the section of the video where the problem occurs and encode just that section, it works fine! No judder. The source file is a standard 720x480i NTSC HuffYUV capture. The only other thing I am doing is running the video through AVISynth to cover up the overscan with a black border. This is my normal DVD encoding workflow and has never given me a problem in the past. TMPGEnc is set to handle a "top field first" source.

So is this a bug in TMPGEnc 2.52? Or some stupid transient problem I have to track down? I will post samples when I get a chance. The source HuffYUV file does NOT show any playback problems or issues with field order. It plays without a problem.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've been using TMPGEnc since 2001, and have never seen this issue.

Odd stuff can happen. This morning I had a VHS-C tape that simply refused to play without dropped frames in a Panasonic. So I chanced it with a JVC. No dropped frames, but I have a tracking issue at the bottom of the frame. I'll just have to crop it out. The audio is fine. I have no idea why this happens. It's in the JVC right now still, and fingers crossed it doesn't get eaten!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

This was a real moment. I will make some pointless changes the next time I try encoding (like changing the start frame), maybe it will avoid the bug.
12-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Mine may be due to a fragmented hard drive. Another deck and another system is fine. Indeed, +

12-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

We'll see what happens. If I still have problems, I'll likely have to kick TMPGEnc to the curb and find something else. Its bad enough that the program needs to convert the video to RGB colorspace for no good reason before encoding. FWIW, the capture had no dropped frames.

EDIT: This appears to be similar to my problem: http://dvd-hq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=545

I think I found the culprit, a silent frame drop! Whats odd is that the source file plays fine, no field problems. There is a noticeable jump at the point where TMPGEnc goes crazy which is clearly a 1-2 frame drop. I'm guessing there is a non-visible problem with the file that screws up the encoder. Would be nice if I knew what caused the frame drop, since VirtualDub didn't report any drops during capture.
12-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

What's the original source? (If a tape, a tape from where recorded when? What was it's source?)

I don't think this a frame-drop issue. It really depends on the earliest source, however. If it's what I think it is, I've seen this in the past, around 2004-2006. Huge PITA, but I was able to solve the issue.

Also, is it just ONE spot, or multiples? Can you pre-cut the source, encode in two piece, and merge?

12-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

I only have the final flawed DVD, I nuked the HuffYUV source and recaptured. The source was an 80s commercial tape. No clue if it was Macrovision as I passed the video though the AVT-8710. It should be noted that I used my ATI AIW rig to do the first capture. The second time around, I just did it on my main Core2Duo machine with the AVerMedia card.

I really need to debug that AIW machine. I have done reasonably long MPEG2 captures without a problem on it in the past, but never anything that was an hour plus and HuffYUV. After the "flaw" occurred, there appeared to be an audio sync issue, so frames were dropped despite VirtualDub saying otherwise.
12-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Is this footage something that passed through the AVerMedia card?

What this sound like is the classic issue of switching field order. It was VERY common on DSS/DVB in USA mid-2000 and earlier. (I've not looked at a raw MPEG satellite transmission in years now.) Some capture card -- and AVer is one -- has similar issues. The was very poor video quality control.

It doesn't look to be a frame drop. In fact, dropped frames should not cause this. At worst, ATI will silently insert, not drop, but this still is not the effects.

12-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

This was a standard VHS capture. The AVer card wasn't the one that glitched, it was the ATI AIW setup that produced the wonky capture. The original HuffYUV file was missing about 1-2 frames, the field order was not switched after that point. When I ran the footage through TMPGEnc, the encoder must have had a problem with the missing frames for some reason and reversed to reading the source file's field order as bottom field first despite me explicitly telling the encoder that the file was top field first. I am surprised this even happened since I was processing the file through Avisynth (I confirmed that it was frame serving the file without a problem in other programs).

The second HuffYUV capture done with the AverMedia card was flawless. It encoded without a problem and the discs are done.