10-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Hello again,

questions:

I noticed on one of your other posts you mentioned the 9000 series AIW cards having theater 200 chips. I have the ATI AIW X800XT.
Does my card also have the same 200 chips or posibley even a later version?

I noticed on your capture guide that you have a version of HUFFYUV that is different than mine. I have version 2.1.1. I see other versions like 2.20.

What is the latest version and where can I get it?

Also, what is the skinny on the VHS-C format?

Were their special players that played these tapes or did people just use their camera as a play back device?

I know that you can buy adapters for you S-VHS decks.

Is it ok to restore VHS-C using one of these adaptors in my JVC HRS9911 machine?

Thanks

- 777sp2
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Your card has the ATI THEATER 200 chipset. That is the most modern MPEG/VIDEO chipset at the moment from ATI, and it performs quite nicely. No real need to replace it unless they embed filters similar to what LSI has done for DVD recorder chipsets.

I do not keep up with HUFFYUV. The differences in versions are negligible from what I've seen. As long as you have one that works, I'd not worry too much about "which one" or "the latest". Mine is clearly not the latest, but it performs as desired. More info on HuffYUV is here: http://www.avisynth.org/HuffYUV

I own a S-VHS-C camera. I prefer to use the camera as the player. It has a TBC inside the camera for use on the tapes being played (JVC S-VHS-C camera). If I use a VHS-C adapter on my S-VHS-C tapes, the VCR (any VCR!) tends to eat the tapes. So you may want to test out playing 30 minutes on a "dummy" tape (blank, junk recordings, whatever). If you have no problems, use the adapter. If your camera performs well on playback, use that.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply,

Leaving the tape eating issue aside, do you think your SVHS-C camera can play back as high a quality picture for restoration as a JVC HRS 9911U using the adapter?

Also, what do you think of this camera for SVHS-C restoration?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...e?O=productlis t&A=details&Q=&sku=365527&is=REG&addedTroughType=c ategoryNav igation

Is the image resolution and audio of S-VHS-C identical or the same quality as regular S-VHS?

Will all the usuall resto equipment work with SVHS-C. i.e. TBC1000, proc amp?

Thanks,

P.S. I do not want to wear out my welcome, please let me know when I need to renew my fee. - 777sp2
10-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Because my camera is the one that recorded the tapes, there's nothing to restore. It pays back clean and perfect. I recorded about 100 "C" tapes for personal use in a 4-year period with it before graduating to a DV system that shot up to my expectations. Any time I did real work, I lugged around a full S-VHS Panasonic unit.

I don't know that these cameras would have any ability to restore whatsoever. I would first look into the "eaten tape" issue, and see whether you get that problem or not.

The camera, for all intents and purposes, is no different than a VCR as far as a full TBC, proc amp, etc., is concerned. Just another video signal. I use my proc amp to tweak for lighting, but that's about it. My S-VHS-C tapes are high res and in tip-top shape.

What are the conditions of your VHS-C tapes that are causing you to inquire about restoring them? In a situation like this, there could potentially be an option for you to capture in the recording camera, and then post-process the flaws away in software. It's a good alternate to eaten tapes or dealing with a playback unit that is not tracking the tapes (which is common with homemade VHS, especially from cameras).

But again, try the adapter on a dummy tape.

10-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Free Member

I think you misunderstood my question. I was not suggesting that I would use a SVHSC camera as a means to restore color, black levels, timing issues, etc.. I already have a proc amp detailer and full frame TBC for that.

I am ust wondering, would a SVHS-C camera make as good a playback device as my JVC HRS9911U using a VHS-C to VHS casette adapter?

Did you get a chance to see this camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...e?O=productlis t&A=details&Q=&sku=365527&is=REG&addedTroughType=c ategoryNav igation

Would the above camera make a good quality play back device like my JVC HRS9911?

Thanks,
10-06-2005, 05:35 AM

I'm sure it would, as long as the tracking styles match, meaning your recording deck was aligned, and the new one is aligned the same. Video cameras were never made with the kind of tracking leeway that VCRs have.