Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

I recently upgraded my Win 7, 32bit/dual core PC to 64bit/Quad core and SSD "C" drive. I saved the Lordsmurf version of Virtual Dub 1.9..download from the old PC, and I understand it installs into x86 on a 64bit system, but my "Downloads" files got moved from one drive to another during the change-over, so I'm thinking it might be wise to re-download LS version of V-Dub 1.9... just to be sure, I did see a newer version (1.10...?) on Sourceforge,..Any reason to use latest version/transfer filters from LS version to it?...Also wondering if I should download/use HuffYUF "multi-threaded", or "64bit" version on my 64bit/Quad system?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I need to re-look at 1.10.x sometime, but it was not stable and has bugs last I saw. There's nothing wrong with 1.9.x.
I'll be releasing a new package soon, along with Avisynth -- and guides for both.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (02-21-2015)
02-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Free Member

What I noticed with the huffyuv-mt codec is that it actually has it's own identifier. (HYMT) As such, programs that could (I should say can) open huffyuv content no longer were able to play my files created with huffyuv-mt. The content should be exactly the same but because it identifies itself differently my software refused to play in for example VLC.

SO, although I think there is a use for multithreaded huffyuv, in modern systems (even on my P4 capture bx) I don't think there is much use for it since most cpu's are fast enough to do triple digit en/decodes of huffyuv and is seems to break compatibility.

-P
The following users thank Prelude for this useful post: rocko (02-21-2015)
02-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
What I noticed with the huffyuv-mt codec is that it actually has it's own identifier. (HYMT) As such, programs that could (I should say can) open huffyuv content no longer were able to play my files created with huffyuv-mt. The content should be exactly the same but because it identifies itself differently my software refused to play in for example VLC.

SO, although I think there is a use for multithreaded huffyuv, in modern systems (even on my P4 capture bx) I don't think there is much use for it since most cpu's are fast enough to do triple digit en/decodes of huffyuv and is seems to break compatibility.

-P
...So just download/install the regular huffyuv codec for my 64bit system? (There are 3 versions of it available on this site..Regular/Multi-thread/and 64).
02-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Free Member

regular would translate as 32-bit to me so yes.
02-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

And Lordsmurf, is this huffyuv required/recommended for use with V-Dub only, or good for general use for playing files in general?

Quote:

-P
Quote:
regular would translate as 32-bit to me so yes.
Thanks..and yes I meant 32bit
02-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Free Member

It's a DLL that is installed so I beleive it to be for systemwide use but that's i more the windows side of things so LS would have to jump in here or smth. seeing as I have only recently started using windows again myself just for capturing