Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Free Member

I have a video in a large .WMV file. I would rather not put it through another encoding process to preserve as much quality as possible. Maybe this is a "duh" question but could I just save my file onto a Blu-ray disc and still be able to view it on my computer, ps3, and other Blu-ray players? Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yes, you probably can.

It really depends on the exact model of Blu-ray player, and it's abilities. Some Blu-ray players insist that BD media must contain a BD movie. The WMV will probably fit on a data DVD as well. I've never tested this on my Samsung player. I usually just use Serviio to stream MP4 and AVI. You'll just need to test it. Burn with DVD if you can (cheaper).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: momnewbie (10-10-2015)
10-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
You might be able to find a set top player that can play WMV, but I never heard of one. WMV is native to Windows, which is why most Windows PC players can handle it. However, WMV is not a "format", it's a container or wrapper that can contain video encoded with a number of different codecs, frame dimensions, frame rates, audio codecs, etc. Set top players are not PC media players. They can handle several formats, but only within a limited set of standardized encoding specifications. Even if they could play WMV, the low bitrates and small frame sizes used for WMV (it was designed for 'net streaming, not for disc playback) will upscale poorly on HDTVs.
10-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Free Member

Thank you so much, Lordsmurf and Sanlyn. I really appreciate your help. I just found out (through GSpot) what codec my video was saved as.

Since it is dvsd does that mean it only encoded it once as it passed through my DV camera? Is this the same codec that my DV videos are? Is dvsd easily played on common Blu-ray players?

The reason I was opting to save it to Blu-ray was because it is 24.7 GB and I didn't want to compress it and lose any more quality. Do you think it is worth it to compress it again? Or should I stick with Blu-ray?

Do you know why my audio information does not show up? I know the video does contain audio

Thanks a ton in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gspot info.jpg (212.6 KB, 1 downloads)
10-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Remembered

Possibly the fact that there no audio is in it.

Control with media info

Here an example, however, with CDVC [Canopus DV-AVI]

Attached Images
File Type: png GSpot v2.70a 2.9600_Neu_2015-10-09_19-25-31.png (103.3 KB, 2 downloads)
10-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Free Member

Ok, so I am ready to burn my Blu-ray on ImgBurn. It is telling me since it is an AVI file I should choose the ISO9660 +Joliet not UDF.

* When I choose the ISO+Joliet it tells me that my file size is too big and I need to either switch back to UDF
or--- Enable the Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit and Multiple Extents options in the ISO tab

I just want the best option for having my "data" play on as many players (stand alone, pc, Playstation, etc) as possible. I am getting conflicting information as to which option is best. UDF or ISO+J with mulitiple extentions?

Tags
.wmv, data