06-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Free Member

Hi guys,

I've recently been capturing some of my own old Video8 tapes, and a family friend asked me to get 3 of their old Hi8 tapes onto DVD. I've done some odd VHS bits in the past but this is the first time I'm trying to do it "properly" as it were.

I captured to Huffyuv YUY2 using AmaRecTV using a Tevion USB capture device that seems fairly well regarded, as I had good results with this setup in the past. The tapes had been stored in a very humid place so aren't great and have odd dropouts in places, but the captures have come out fairly well overall.

I've done a little cleanup and trimming with VirtualDub and Audacity (mostly Audio as I'm OK with that, video I'm not great and I seemed to be making it worse) but I captured in 640x480. The tapes were originally recorded by them in NTSC on a USA camera, but we're in the UK so I now want to get these onto DVD in a PAL resolution if I can.

I've had a good read around and seem to have found varying answers, the common thing being to resize to 720x576. My confusion comes when people are talking about de-interlacing first then re-interlacing, but I've also seen some comments that de-interlacing causes image quality issues, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Apologies if this seems like a very basic problem, but I'm not even sure if the resizing will be entirely necessary and how to do it properly, and I'd like to do the best I can with this. I may end up posting in other forums yet for help with improving video up a little.

Thanks very much.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Almost all PAL DVD players sold in PAL countries play both PAL and NTSC for viewing on TV. NTSC and PAL DVD are usually interlaced.
06-08-2016, 02:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Almost all PAL DVD players sold in PAL countries play both PAL and NTSC for viewing on TV. NTSC and PAL DVD are usually interlaced.
Not quite.

PAL players play NTSC as a quasi-NTSC signal, similar to "NTSC-50" (the inverse of PAL-60).

Unlike analog formats, which has special color encoding, digital is just YUV data and frames per second. The NTSC video is output in one of several ways:
- 29.97 decimates to 25
- 29.97 converted (ghosted) to 25
- output as 29.97 and just let the TV handle it (and it does the same thing)

It's the same for viewing PAL in NTSC-land. Most players support both NTSC and PAL, since they're all cheaply made in China with universal kits. Only the earlier DVD players and Blu-ray players tend to be NTSC-only or PAL-only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota View Post
The tapes were originally recorded by them in NTSC on a USA camera, but we're in the UK so I now want to get these onto DVD in a PAL resolution if I can.
I've had a good read around and seem to have found varying answers, the common thing being to resize to 720x576. My confusion comes when people are talking about de-interlacing first then re-interlacing, but I've also seen some comments that de-interlacing causes image quality issues, so I'm not sure how to proceed.
Since the source tapes are NTSC, it's best to leave it as NTSC. And then let the digital player sort out the while NTSC vs. PAL ordeal.

The resize/deinterlace suggestion is horrible. Never do that to your source, only a copy. Better yet, avoid it when possible. Deinterlacing is mostly for uploading to Youtube/etc, special restoration needs, etc -- not making discs. Leave discs interlaced.

Deinterlacing throws away 50% of the image data, and you cannot get it back.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys, left it as NTSC and they've come out great.