digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Encode, Convert for discs (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/)
-   -   Upscale looks good on computer, bad on TV? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/7715-upscale-good-computer.html)

doodal 12-27-2016 05:30 AM

Upscale looks good on computer, bad on TV?

I am trying to upscale my 29.97 interlaced VHS captures to 720p 60fps. I deinterlaced the video, upscaled using NNEDI3, and reinterlaced it. Then I used this guide to get 60fps http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/. It turned out really nice and playback is very smooth on my computer. I then used mkv2vob to make the video file playable on my PS3 and played the video from a usb drive. The playback on my TV looks really bad. There is alot of motion blur and the color looks bad as well. How to I get the video to look as nice on my TV as it does when played on my computer? Thanks.

lordsmurf 12-27-2016 06:20 AM

That's a really bad guide.
Install K-Lite codec pack?! That's horrible advice! No! Never!

You may be making video that is non-standard/computer-only, not standard to what a media player wants. That happens far too much, when done by newbies (including newbies that write guides).

That's a long-winded guide, and most steps were not necessary. I'm concerned that (looking quickly), he has you needlessly re-encode audio (and to AC3, of all things, which is less compatible that AAC for non-computer playback these days).

I don't see the point in this. As mentioned, the TV does 60fps interpolation. Let it. It's better than Avisynth.

Same for resize. Make it at least SD resolution, and let the TV handle it. In most cases, it's better than software.

If you feel the need to use Avisyth, then use ONLY Avisynth.

The PS3 isn't the best of players. In fact, it's somewhat lousy. Even the older XBOX, with XBMC/Kodi, was often better. I prefer the WDTV, or a non-hacked/non-molested Kodi box.

sanlyn 12-27-2016 02:42 PM

That guide is a real piece of hack work, almost all of it copied from old CNET posts, which in turn were copied from other sites like MCMag. Inaccuracies and misconceptions not to be believed, and a constant stream of them, starting with the 120/240Hz TV "features" that destroy clarity and create the infamous "soap opera" look (which is why most video experts who still have good eyes will turn those "features" off). Untrained and inexperienced eyes who follow these guides always end up lowering quality and talking about how 'great" it looks.

If these hacks and gimmicks actually worked correctly they would have been adopted by the mainstream a/v industry years ago. They don't, and they haven't.

lordsmurf 12-27-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanlyn (Post 46884)
starting with the 120/240Hz TV "features" that destroy clarity and create the infamous "soap opera" look

Few TVs have it, and almost none do it well. The EOL Sony SXRD did it brilliantly, which is one reason I bought that set. It really interpolates well at 120hz, and without introducing judder (like most of the bad ones). It doesn't create "soap opera look", though it can if everything is pumped up to max.

Sony is, to my knowledge, the only manufacturer where this is worthwhile to look at. But only in their highest-end sets, not the cheapos. Best Buy may have 1 quality model, but you'll have to go to a better place (Crutchfield, J&R, Fry's, etc) to find several.

I quit paying attention to the market about 1-2 years ago, so not sure what currently exists on showroom floors. I researched and reviewed HDTVs heavily from 2006 to 2012, with a quick blip in 2014.

doodal 12-29-2016 04:49 PM

When I burn the regular video to a DVD and play it in a DVD player, I get the same blurriness. The video had nothing done to it except for some small editing and I applied some standard filters. Should I just accept that the DVD is going to be a small downgrade from the original VHS or is there something I can do?

sanlyn 12-29-2016 07:17 PM

Without a short unprocessed cut of the original YUV/unedited/un-resized/unfiltered capture, there's nothing we can say. Low resolution SD VHS doesn't upres well to begin with using software (especially using junk software), so you're crimped from the start. High definition is based on high resolution and high quality in the source, not on bloated frame size.

doodal 12-29-2016 07:41 PM

I used AVStoDVD to create the DVD instead of the software I was using and it seems to have mostly fixed the problem.