digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Encode, Convert for discs (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/)
-   -   HuffYUV Not Installing in XP w/VirtualDub (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/9679-huffyuv-installing-xp.html)

colony 04-30-2019 05:31 PM

HuffYUV Not Installing in XP w/VirtualDub

Have looked over many similar issues here and on VideoHelp, but nothing works to get HuffYUV recognized in the VDub Video/Compression window, which is only showing YUY2.

I installed VDub 1.9.11 w/filters (into Win XP Home). Then attempted HuffYUV MT and non-MT. Transferred it from thumb drive to desktop, but then also to C drive direct. WinRAR seems to work, showing a .dll and .inf file present. Can extract to anywhere, but there is no "install" option for the .inf file when right clicking, as is so often discussed.

Restarted the PC after all attempts. Still nothing. Also reinstalled VirtualDub.

Could there be something missing from XP?

As an aside, under the VDub "Video" tab, "Format" is not active. Can however set format via "Capture Pin" and "Custom Format". Sanlyn mentioned something similar in his guide a few years back.

ELinder 04-30-2019 05:54 PM

You want to make sure you're installing HuffYUV (that's the 32 bit version), not -MT or -64 with that version of Virtualdub.

Here are more exact install instructions if all else has failed. If you copy the .inf and .dll file to the root C: drive, then you can copy and paste those instructions exactly. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627

Erich

colony 04-30-2019 06:30 PM

Hello Erich,

Thanks for this info. I had seen the above link but didn't bother with it given that my system is Windows XP 32 bit Home Ed. However, looking at it now I see that the 64 bit solution also works for MT with a tweek. My understanding is that HuffYUV MT is 32 bit, for dual or quad core CPU ( I have a dual core). Is that not correct?

sanlyn 05-01-2019 12:24 AM

Do not use huffyugv_MT. MT is for older Pentiums that disappeared years ago.
Multi-taskling vs multi-core ====== NOT the same thing.
How many times do we forcefully have to repeat this?

In VirtualDub capture there is no "format" option in the Video menu. Frame size, colorspace, etc., are set in the Capture pin dialog and other areas. Go back to the guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html.

colony 05-01-2019 06:45 AM

OK sanlyn, I hear your statement concerning MT, and understood the difference between multi-thread core and multiple cores...even before you made it so bluntly clear. Whether it has been stated many times by you or "we" that MT is for Pentiums is debatable. I did ask the question about MT before this thread but before Erich (Elinder) kindly mentioned it above, don't believe there was a previous answer. From this site's page with the VirtualDub and HuffYUV files:

Why Huffyuv? What is Huffyuv ?
Aside from VirtualDub, the only thing you may need/want to actually install is the Huffyuv codec (for most systems) or Huffyuv-Multithreaded (for dual-core and quad-core computers). These are "lossless" (not compressed) video codecs for retaining high quality on your newly-filtered or intermediary video. Huffyuv64 is available too, although it's generally not needed, as Huffyuv and Huffyuv-MT still work fine on both Windows Vista 64 and Windows 7 64-bit."

As for the "format" option, yes it IS there; in 1.9.11 and earlier versions. This site's original guide, "How to Capture AVI With VirtualDub", specifically addresses it. Why don't you check that? And while at it, check your own guide above. You address "format" as well.

I like your guide. Used it yesterday to try and set up my VirtualDub. Appreciate your other threads as well...when I can understand them. Many of us are only here to learn and achieve that end goal: convert our tapes over to surviving technology for the future. Some are slap dash and some (hopefully me as well) try to take an informed approach to achieve better products. Many of us were busy and successful in areas outside of the AV world, letting those tapes stack up; but now have time to learn about this.

You don't suffer fools very well. Neither do I...and often didn't in my career. Yes, ride the high horses, but get off once in a while to take in the ground view.

sanlyn 05-01-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colony (Post 61154)
...even before you made it so bluntly clear.

Well, let's say I intended to be "abundantly clear" rather than "bluntly", LOL.

"MT" was for Pentium-4 CPU's, which were single-core. While MT will work in newer machines, the newer huff's are better matched for multi-core.

Yes, "format" is there (my bad) but who uses it when you have to access all the other dialogs anyway?

Hope I'm not coming on too strong these days. I think these damn 'puters are getting too complicated and newcomers to video are having a tough time with all the codec changing ins and outs, and some of us are getting hoarse yelling at folks. I wish it was 2002 again.

And I wish the wife hadn't ditched the old drip-style coffee maker for one of those silly Keurig contraptions. It doesn't even come close to filling my 20oz souvenir Waffle House mug. It makes obscene moaning sounds, and it grunts and spits. Really disgusting way to start a day.

I dug out an old archived hard drive with projects posted here 5 and 10 years ago, and then browsed about the last year of submitted samples. Video is getting uglier. I find that depressing.
:depressed:

colony 05-01-2019 09:36 AM

I don't don't like those cartridge coffee weapons either. Drips are/were the best, especially the German ones when you could get them here. In the 70's/80's when I wanted a "high tech" espresso, one of these on the stove did the trick:
http://store.dutyfreecubancigars.com...COFFEE-BIG.jpg. Simple quantity vs. heat/pressure.

Then there are turntables and vinyl which, unlike video tape and cameras with film, are making a comeback. Ah, the analog world...

Thanks for your knowledge. Takes me a bit longer to absorb it.

sanlyn 05-01-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colony (Post 61158)
Then there are turntables and vinyl which, unlike video tape and cameras with film, are making a comeback. Ah, the analog world..

My vinyl never went away. We still use and maintain my AR turntable, Rega tonearm, Shure V15, Adcom preamp and Dynaco 400 amp. The interconnects alone cost more than BestBuy's biggest and best. Too bad we can't think of anything to do with the 3 Nikons, motor drives and 7 Nikkor lenses except wait to see if they'll appreciate (fat chance). I miss film, especially in the movie houses. Big screen digital sucks.

Don't worry about catching on to all this video stuff, it'll happen before you know it. Us grumpies just get impatient sometimes.

ELinder 05-01-2019 01:18 PM

Actually, with the new digital bodies with focus peaking and in body sensor stabilization, the older Nikkor lenses are becoming more sought after again. As great as the new lenses are, in the last 5 years I had to send 2 back to Nikon for motor repairs. I have doubts they'll still be useable in 30 years, but those old Nikkors will definitely still be here.

Erich

colony 05-01-2019 05:19 PM

FYI, to close out the original issue:
- Erich, I couldn't use the information in the link you provided as it is for installation of HuffYUV 32 bit in Windows 64 bit, citing a Windows 64 unique file. My system is XP 32 bit.
- However, went to the Video Help site and downloaded their copy of HuffYUV in a RarZip file (not sure how those two combine), dropped it into my capture PC with a thumb drive and extracted with 7 Zip. This time, right clicking on the .inf file magically produced the "install" option. Am currently running a test capture.
- Erich and sanlyn: It is plain HuffYUV that I installed, not MT...Thank you.

Concerning the analog stuff, my old SLR is a more modest Pentax MX with assorted lenses. The odd forgotten roll of film pops up here and there. Unfortunately can't get them processed locally anymore. All the usual places farm out to central processing companies (you don't get negatives back, just discs! As a teenager I turned our bathroom into a darkroom to develop B/W 120 film from my parents' fold out Agfa, and made contact prints. Still have the Agfa.) Also never gave up on the records (love that connection), with venerable Dual, Thorens, PE and ELAC Miracord turntables to enjoy them.

Regards, Walter