11-14-2004, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

I thought that I had finally found a good tool to cut commercials from captured shows, but the latest Womble MPEG2VCR generates audio sync problems. They don't appear to be as frequent or as severe as nanoEdit, but are apparent and may be influenced by the number of cuts made. The original captures do not have a sync problem, but the MPEG2VCR files do. I fire up a special partition that has a minimum configuration (no virus software, nic disabled, etc) to do my video work, so I doubt if the problem is caused by external forces.

Have you experienced this, or do you know of a reliable tool to cut out scenes?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Some MPEG files just reject MPEG-VCR and cause sync drift. The reason is largely a mystery. Personally, I have never seen it. It tends to happen on Hauppauge files mostly. I would suggest two other programs:

1) Womble MPEG Video Wizard (womble.com)
2) Video Redo (videoredo.com)

They both have trials. Both have better results with Hauppauge files according to users.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

I trialed Video Redo and processed 5 2-hour shows captured with my Hauppage PVR 350. I cut out ALL of the commercials and had no sync problems at all. I also used it to easily join segments. I'll definitely be buying it.

Cutting out the commercials reduced the 2-hour original files to 88 minutes, so I was able to increase the max capture bitrate from 6000 to 8000 and generate a result that still fit.

Thanks for the recommendation. - mlaviolette
10-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I know this update is almost two years later, but I've seen this myself.

Womble does not like it when you try to insert effects, and make cut, and add in footage from other files. What happens is a GOP is repeated somewhere in the video file (usually), often seen with a glitch, and then extra video insertion is the reason the audio loses sync. The audio is actually fine, it was the video that was offset by a second worth of video (15-18 frames in a GOP).

There are also reports of issues when files are longer than 2½-3 hours, and I saw it myself once about 5 months ago.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!