Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
I have a few questions about the non destructive deinterlacing.
Is blending involved as it leaves ghosting images during motion?
Will non destructive deinterlacing get rid of any kinds of miceteeth?
Will I loose lots of motion(framerates)?
Also did you recieve any info on IVTC? Do you know how it's achieved?
IVTC only works with film source that was not edited in the interlaced domain. Very few sources are like this, mostly confined to modern primetime TV shows and big budget movies. Older TV shows, and even some newer ones, have a lot of post-film editing work done, permanently marrying it to the interlaced domain. Running an IVTC would turn out worse than a good proper deinterlace. I don't do IVTC, and my film contact is away.

Here are two sample clips. The cartoon has been used to more easily show off the bad effects of a drop-frame (odd/even) deinterlace.

Source frame. An interlaced video frame during a non-motion frame.
hankbill-interlaced-still.jpg

Deinterlaced with drop-frame method. Notice all the stair-steps in the image lines. Now imagine the stair-step lines moving, even when the video frame is relatively still, with the full video in motion! It looks like alien lines have invaded your TV. This is never suggested, but often used by amateurs. This is the only method of deinterlacing that would harm motion quality, with frames often stuttering on pans instead of being smooth, due to have of the video information being thrown away.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Source frame. Interlaced frame, interlace motion shown all over moving body.
hankbill-deinterlaced-dropf.jpg

Deinterlaced with blend. Notice the ghosting in the hands. All motion is ghosted with this kind of deinterlace method. Not ever suggested, though many amateurs use it because they don't know any better.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Better deinterlaced. Using more complex methods, you can avoid ghosts and stair-steps pretty well. It's not perfect, but it works well. This is a common default algorithm in some higher-end modern for-streaming software. The sample frame here is actually pretty bad, it tends to look much better.
violin-interlaced-source.jpg

Best deinterlaced. With better combinations of filters and algorithms, you can remove all traces of interlace -- it's virtually the same as an IVTC, albeit with far more advanced math.

This last more-complex method is what I do.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: CarlEHL (10-08-2020)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors