Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Sometimes the same song isn't cut the same. In other cases, it's been sped up. You may not notice the speed change if it's been pitched-altered. That's very common.

It's no secret that editors hate replacing audio. This is one of many reasons why. You'd have to compare the exact length of audio in the video with the exact length of audio from your new source CD.

The PAL/NTSC video conversion guide uses the same principles for adjusting audio as you'd need here.
Just refer to the Goldwave sections here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...t-pal-ntsc.htm

Also...

The reply limits were added so new members would quit bumping old posts that had nothing to do with them. It's actually worked brilliantly -- nary a problem in at least 6-7 months now! Less work for me (having to move threads/posts).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Free Member

Thanks Admin! It's great to know a tool like what Goldwave offers is out there.

Unfortunately, my footage (a music video) begins with an intro and then crossfades into the program material. I've already prepared proper edits to cut out the unwanted video, but because identifying the exact length of the new cut will be difficult - especially since the source audio is slowly faded in - I think I'm going to have to go with something like Audacity's new Time Track feature, and guess with percentages rather than work with precise numerals.

I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have for getting around this. I'll post back if I have any problems. Thanks again!
06-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Audacity was on version 1.2 for a long time, and has been on v1.3 (in Beta) for an equally long time. We're talking at least several years here since 1.2 came out. So it's not really a new feature anymore.

You'll just want to find something you can ID, and then measure it from start to finish -- even if it's just "start to finish of what I know" and not the whole piece.

I'd still urge use of Goldwave for the precise changes. Otherwise you may want to smash your fist through the screen with a guesswork method. Re-timing and re-syncing audio is already hard enough, without adding guesswork to the equation.

Good luck.

06-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
You'll just want to find something you can ID, and then measure it from start to finish -- even if it's just "start to finish of what I know" and not the whole piece.
This is precisely what I was going to do with the percentage method. But how exactly could I do this with Goldwave? The video editing is going to slightly lengthen the video at the beginning to smootly cut out the intro, but how much longer it will ultimately be depends on when the CD track should start (video and audio need to begin together). Of course I don't have a finalized CD track yet because it needs to go through Goldwave.

Kind of a chicken-egg thing here.
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM

I would listen to both outside Goldwave. Then I'd learn the lengths of each piece in the editor (NLE). All that Goldwave does is change length of audio -- it's useless for the other related tasks (as is Audacity).

I do all audio sync work in Adobe Premiere 6.5, Pro CS3 or Pro CS4. If it's MPEG video, sometimes I can work with Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD.

06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Free Member

I understand, but I don't really have an identifiable start for the music video's soundtrack since everything transitions from the intro. I can't determine an exact length for it because it's slowly faded in. The straight song, as issued on the CD, has a clean and abrupt beginning. It doesn't fade in.
06-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Turn up the volume and find something -- anything.

08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Free Member

I finally got around to really giving this my undivided attention and, while it was very hard, I finally figured it out. The Goldwave solution did the trick in terms of getting the audio tracks to match.

They were collectively off by about three seconds, so I never could have done it without Time Warp. Awesome tool.

Thanks again, Admin.
The following users thank Reading Bug for this useful post: admin (08-09-2010), lordsmurf (08-13-2010)