Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
What Is This?

It appears another really good freeware has disappeared from the internet. Avid Free DV was a limited-edition freeware version of the professional Avid non-linear editor (NLE). It wasn't as advanced as Premiere or Vegas, so I didn't really use it all that often, but it was a lot better than the cheap or other free offerings at the time. And to be honest, it's still better than most current cheap/free options! After Avid bought Pinnacle, they distanced themselves from consumer-grade products, and dropped support of this great little program. Pinnacle is now the consumer-level product brand.

Does it Work in Windows XP-Vista-7 or Mac OS X ?

This works great in Windows XP. I've not tested it in Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit, nor Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. Feel free to download it, install it, test it, and post your findings. Share your experience with the community.

If anybody has the Mac OS X version, let me have it! I'll post it here too. The final Mac version was 1.8, but I'll take whatever I can get.

A guide for this may be created when I find some time. For now, just muddle through it. (It's really NOT that hard!)

How to Install ?

Although you didn't have to buy anything, Avid wanted you to register, before you could install it. Since that's no longer available, use this one:

Serial Number: AvidFreeDV-31E3
Authorization Code: AF7R-XJ5C-UC7K-552H-KE7Q

Should I Use This?

If you have $50 or more to spend, I'd suggest buying one of the program listed below instead. Note that prices are approximate, rounded, will vary month to month, and version to version (for old versions). Many of the links below are for Amazon, because we always suggest buying boxed version -- you have discs this way. No "where did I download the file" moments, losing software with a bad hard drive, etc.

WindowsMac OS XNot in USA? No problem. Look up the product you want at the links below:

Note!

We don't have to do stuff like this, and it takes a lot of time; setting up this post all by itself took me an hour. To support this site, consider becoming a Premium Member for $20 -- join a community of quality-seeking video professionals and enthusiasts alike, to get help with your video or other media projects. Don't just be a downloader, become a valued site member, whether you ask questions, or answer them!

Or just drop us a quick thank-you donation -- $2, $5, whatever -- that we can use to pay for the site costs.

How / Where to Download the Files?
You'll find the attached file downloads at the bottom of this top post. Files are provided for the convenience of our members. To get download access, simply join the forum as either a Free Member or Premium Member. We don't send spam or sell your email addresses. If you're not sure what to do with .zip or .rar files, see this help post.

Attached Files
File Type: rar AvidFreeDV-161-Windows-Final.part1.rar (7.92 MB, 1087 downloads)
File Type: rar AvidFreeDV-161-Windows-Final.part2.rar (7.92 MB, 937 downloads)
File Type: rar AvidFreeDV-161-Windows-Final.part3.rar (7.92 MB, 1014 downloads)
File Type: rar AvidFreeDV-161-Windows-Final.part4.rar (7.92 MB, 1005 downloads)
File Type: rar AvidFreeDV-161-Windows-Final.part5.rar (7.92 MB, 898 downloads)
File Type: rar AvidFreeDV-161-Windows-Final.part6.rar (1.79 MB, 798 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Last edited by kpmedia; 08-24-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: minor updates added
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: 007homevideo (10-09-2015), teejay (06-05-2012)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Free Member

bump this thread
05-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide_Zer0 View Post
bump this thread
Why?

It's already a sticky in this forum.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: musikphreek1979 (11-29-2018)
05-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Free Member

idk i searched it on google. took me hell to find it...maybe this will help the web crawler work faster
The following users thank Oxide_Zer0 for this useful post: admin (02-10-2011)
01-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Free Member

I have just installed this program and I'm using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
In order to get it to install you will have to right click on the setup and change the compatibility to windows xp sp3

Just right click > properties> compatibility tab> check the box for run this program in compatibility mode for

I will post if I have any problems running it if not assume all went well.
I'm assuming I'll have to do the same thing for the program .exe to get it to run.

it is located for me in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Avid Free DV
The following users thank namtr0 for this useful post: admin (02-10-2011), pinkkipper (12-13-2011)
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Free Member

Whats the big deal with this software, ?
One cannot "GRAB" individual frames from a point in the clip, Edit them with a paint program and put them back in I wouldn't even call it an editor program, it's just another splicer and dicer. Editing?
Fails miserably.
02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

namtr0, thanks for your input on Windows 7 install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClancy View Post
Whats the big deal with this software, ?
It's an NLE. It's from Avid. And it's free. Granted, it's dated software at this point in time, but it existed in the days before you could buy an NLE or near-NLE for under $500. Software like Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Movie Studio and Final Cut Express did not yet exist. This was a dumbed-down version of the full Avid software. And to this day, it's still quite decent.

Quote:
One cannot "GRAB" individual frames from a point in the clip, Edit them with a paint program and put them back in I wouldn't even call it an editor program, it's just another splicer and dicer. Editing?
Fails miserably.
It also can't edit RAW photos from my DSLR, and it lacks spellchecking -- but that's because it wasn't intended for that kind of editing. And it's more than a simple splicer. Even most past versions of Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro didn't have integrated abilities to export a still frame to an image editor, allowed for editing, and replace seamlessly.

I don't often use that function of an editor, so I can't even say for certain if Premiere CS3-CS5 does this. (Most videos I work on are a total mess -- not just flawed by a few frames that need repair.) Although I would bet it does, given how Adobe has integrated more and more of their apps of time. Encore and Photoshop communicate pretty well, so I'm thinking Premiere and Photoshop have a similar relationship.

It's hard to judge software for something it wasn't made to do. It's sort of like beating a screw with a hammer, and then complaining that the hammer does a lousy job at it. That's simply a case of using the wrong tool, and not a flaw of the tool itself.

If nothing else, it's a good piece of archived digital-era video history.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!