12-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

I am having a serious problem with a project I am doing to transfer VHS tapes to DVDs. I have the files in huffyuv format. I have filtered and restored the video I am currently working on with both virtualdub and Adobe Premiere. However, my computer was crashing and giving errors, so I backed up my files to an external hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Now, I cannot open huffyuv formats in Adobe Premiere.

I need to use Adobe Premiere to edit these files. Actually, the files were created and joined IN Premiere before I reinstalled windows. Now I cannot get Adobe Premiere to recognize huffyuv files no matter what. I am using Premiere CS5.5. When I import the file, it is seen as audio only. When I import another type of file that is merely uncompressed, it works but I cannot output as huffyuv either. I am using Windows 7 x64. I installed the 64 bit version of huffyuv exactly as is mentioned on another thread, through the command prompt. I have no idea what to do to allow Premiere to import and export huffyuv files. It was working before I reinstalled Windows.

I also thought that I could simply load the file in virtualdub and export it as an uncompressed file and then open that in Premiere but Virtualdub gives an error message "avi index not found", etc and it won't open the whole file. Even if that DID work, dealing with uncompressed files would be difficult and undesirable.

Could you please help me to get Adobe Premiere CS5.5 to import and export huffyuv files? Thank you so much. I hope you can help me.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

What FourCC is coming up as on the files? You can check with GSpot. If you used the HuffYUV Multi-threaded patch to capture with, you need to install that codec as its a slightly different format with a FourCC of HYMT. Another trick you can use is to frameserve the file with Avisynth or VirtualDub to Premiere. Premiere will see uncompressed output that way since VDub or AVISynth is doing the decompression. Also keep in mind that if you are using 32-bit software, you need to install the 32-bit version of the codecs you are using.
12-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
However, my computer was crashing and giving errors, so I backed up my files to an external hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Now, I cannot open huffyuv formats in Adobe Premiere. ........ but Virtualdub gives an error message "avi index not found"
This honestly points to a corrupted file. Was your computer error related to bad spots on the hard drive, by chance? Did you figure out what the problem was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
However, my computer was crashing and giving errors, so I backed up my files to an external hard drive and reinstalled Windows
And if it was a bad hard drive, then the problem still exists. At most, it's just temporarily hidden. Worst case is the bad spot was the location where important Windows files were stored, or other programs in use were stored. And when you moved files back to the main drive, the video is now stored on the bad spot. (Or are the video files still on the external drive? I'm not quite clear on source drive.)

There's a huge list of variables and potential problems at this point. You'll have to do some diligent process of elimination.

There's also several variations of Huffyuv:
  • Huffyuv,
  • Huffyuv (CCE hacked),
  • Huffyuv Multi-threaded (MT),
  • Huffyuv 64-bit
You must decode with the same version used to encode. Gspot will help with this, as the FourCC varies.
You can have MT version + one of the others installed side-by-side. (The others shared the same name: huffyuv.dll)

I'm leaning towards corrupted files. But I'd like to be wrong, so look at codec issues first.
You could also try accessing the files from another computer, to help eliminate local computer errors.

Quote:
I am using Windows 7 x64.
Where you always using Windows 7 64 bit?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!