Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

sirs
i do believe you should mention macro hacks
are to disable protection from VHS only and are of no help with DVD and its protection.
barry

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to.

But if I had to guess -- and apparently I do -- I'd say you're likely referring to the ATI AIW "hacks" (homebrew driver edits) found here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html. As mentioned in that thread, and in our related ATI AIW capture guides (both AVI capturing and MPEG capturing), those never really worked for legitimate anti-copy anyway -- not even for VHS. Those files and instructions were archived here because the ATI AIW cards had a bad habit of blocking home videos due to asinine software blocks.

Actual Macrovision detection is hardware-based, and it was never clear why addition software settings had been added. Also recall that Macrovision is only one of several anti-copy methods. Beyond that, anti-copy is an artificial video error, and any detection system snares legitimate (non-artificial) errors in the process. Most users want to backup/convert home videos to DVD (or other digital formats), not pirate some crappy VHS release that already exists on a DVD re-made from the studio film masters.

The only fool-proof way to strip errors (be it anti-copy or natural errors inherent to the VHS format) is to use a TBC. Regardless of your home, commercial or homemade, you need a TBC to remove all of the signal flaws native to the VHS format.

Read more about TBCs (timebase correctors) here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

There's honestly no reason to analog capture a DVD. You can extract what's needed from a DVD using software. You lower the quality of the DVD by re-capturing it with an analog method.

And welcome to the site.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
09-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

And unfortunately your account has now been locked, because it's bouncing mail.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!