11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Free Member

http://www.xavc-info.org/

A 4k codec by Sony to be implemented in the major editing suites (Avid, Final Cut etc.) and consumer and pro camcorders. Based on mpeg4 level 5.2 with 4096x2160 resolution and up to 12 bits. MXF container support. Basically, just look for the XAVC logo and know that your products are compatible.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Now all we need are some quality cameras to become affordable. ($5k max SLR)
I do see some that are nice, but they're $20K+ for a workable rig.

I wonder how much CPU and disk I/O is needed for 4K editing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Free Member

Current generation video cards already handle 4k video decoding. I believe Intel Quicksync can decode/encode 4k, so that's going to be very fast.

I think this is an interesting DLSR currently: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600

You can make time-lapses and animations in 4k, but as for camcorders, wait a few years or rent, otherwise you'll shoot yourself when you see how cheap it gets. I've found places in big cities that rent a Red One for about $25 a day, though if you're doing something pro you'll need some tracks, lights etc. as required.
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Free Member

Here ya go, GoPro Black, 24fps 2.7k or 15fps 4k video
http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras
USD $400
11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Eh, not really the caliber of equipment I was looking for. Remember that I already shoot with a Nikon D3s, and don't want to downgrade my photo/video experience. GoPro is more an a low-end amateur hobby camera. I'd like something with either a Nikon or Canon lens mount, that shoots 4K video, and is priced no more than $5K. What exists right now is all well above $20K for a shootable setup.

Having support for the format in NLEs now is good -- much better than the opposite, which is the norm of the past. But where are the affordable cameras? When the cameras don't readily exist, it always makes you worry about the long-term viability of the codec. I've seen that happen a lot in the past 15 years of dabbling in next-gen digital video.

Remember that H.265 and MPEG-H are around the corner, currently still in development.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
I think this is an interesting DLSR currently: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600
You can make time-lapses and animations in 4k
Nikon needs to fix the sensor heat issues that prevent it from running in long bursts like Canon can. Same for the time limits imposed from various technical limitations (FAT32, for example). The Nikon D3s was a great video shooter camera, for 720p HD videos...

... but you're limited to 5-minute bursts of shooting.

Quote:
wait a few years or rent, otherwise you'll shoot yourself when you see how cheap it gets.
Unless you're in one of the largest cities, renting is hard in most locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
though if you're doing something pro you'll need some tracks, lights etc. as required.
I was discussing DIY tracks a few weeks ago with a local music video shooter. He has his own DIY lighting tips, and I gave him some of my DIY lighting tips. This is the easy part. The hard part of using a RED is all of the parts that actually make it a usable "camera" in any way. It reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode where she buys a vacuum cleaner that's missing all of the tools, the motor, the extension cord, etc.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.