Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I think this is a permissions error. Windows will not let you copy to the system32 folder as a non-admin.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Free Member

I thought that might be it so I checked them all. Here is the dialogue box.

Security permission.JPG

08-26-2014, 12:30 PM

C: and C:\Windows\system32 are two separate paths.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Free Member

Not real sure what you meant by "C: and C:\Windows\system32 are two separate paths". I tried a different approach. Did a directory search and found HuffyUV and tried typing in the instructions from your 4-24-2010 post. You can see the results on the screenshot. Not sure where to go from here.

Huffyuv error message 3.JPG

08-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Free Member

I have had trouble getting Huffy to work with my 7 and 8.1 systems, so I use AVIDemux or xmedia recode to open and save as a different 422 YUV format. This is the only acceptable workaround that I have found.

Some people can get it working, but I could not, but if it works for you please report back with steps.
08-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Free Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Nothing else seems to work.
08-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Free Member

You want to put it into another 422 medium in YUY2, such as lagarith or even uncompressed.

-- merged --

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
You want to put it into another 422 medium in YUY2, such as lagarith or even uncompressed.
I just realized you can't do lagarith in XMedia Recode. Best options are either raw video or FFV1 (another lossless codec). Set container as AVI and set audio to copy.
08-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Free Member

Note the different error messages. Top one is "Administrator C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" and the bottom one is just "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe."
The admin box doesn’t recognize the command while the system only box says "access is denied". Seems like a security error.
What directory does the program need full access to?

huffyuv error message 4.JPG

08-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Did you try to open it with Avidemux?
Because it should use the internal libavcodec library, not the external codec. Try it and see if it will open.

08-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Not yet. Tried yesterday and Malware Bytes blocked it. I think it's OK and will try today. I'm getting closer, you may have noticed on my screenshot that it appears to be a security issue. Will try fixing that too.

-- merged --

OK, I downloaded Avidemux (is this from Avid?) and I opened the Huffyuv file in it and it looks and sounds fine. Do I just convert it to an MPEG now? Or save it with some other file extension?
09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyes View Post
OK, I downloaded Avidemux (is this from Avid?) and I opened the Huffyuv file in it and it looks and sounds fine. Do I just convert it to an MPEG now? Or save it with some other file extension?
Nope, not from Avid, it just demuxes an AVI file into its elementary streams or converts it. You have a couple options - if you are going lossless, make sure the container is AVI openDML and an uncompressed format. If you want to go to MPEG, there is an option, though I'm unsure it will go straight to DVD.

WinX Video Converter will actually read Huffy files, I recommend getting a trial copy to see if it fits your needs, it is much simpler, but it does cost money for the full version but will save you the trouble you are facing and make things a bit easier.

I would try XMediaRecode as well, which is free and can encode straight to DVD Mpeg-2, see which one you like better.
09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Free Member

I tried Avidemux and all I could get out of it was an mpeg2, with a lot of video problems, dropped frames, slo-mo sections, etc. What I want to do is be able to open the AVI in my video editor (Pinnacle), edit it in AVI, and let the editor convert it to mpeg while it's rendering it to DVD. Something I've done many times without a problem with AVI files.
09-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Free Member

XMediaRecode is probably better suited then, it offers many more lossless options than Avidemux, and if you weren't editing you could go straight to DVD MPEG with it. Avidemux is a Euro-produced program, so if you wanted to try that again, I would make sure your settings suit your region such as the framerate and resolution, but I haven't had issues with it previously.
09-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Free Member

I finally found a simple way to install Huffyuv in Win7 64bit. Just watch the YouTube video on the iink below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUZBJ7sck3c

Now that it is installed I found out that Pinnacle won't run it. Thanks for the help anyway.
09-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Allow me to rant a little about Pinnacle's software. I stopped using it years ago. Now and then I encounter a PC that has it installed and will try something, and have occasionally installed newer versions as trial -- both because I expect different results from my own experience, but just out of curiosity to see if anything has improved. On every occasion it seems worse to me than it did back in 2004 when I gave up on it. I have no idea what its designers have in mind for it, but it always fails to produce a clean piece of video. Last time I used it extensively was to make a 15-minute slide show. It gave me nothing but fits and grief during the entire effort, which took a month to complete. I finally gave up on its horrible encoder and used TMPGenc Plus 2.5 to get a cleaner final video from the 15-minute lossless AVI. The designers appear to be clueless when it comes to aspects of video processing that other software handles properly, including everything from deinterlace/reinterlace, color correction, resizing, encoding, applying transitions, cuts and joins, etc., tec., and is useless for any kind of denoising or repair.

Just use something else. I never heard of any advanced user who recommends it. I realize that it has a certain appeal in areas of convenience but its glitches, omissions and bugs just aren't worth the trouble.
09-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Free Member

I'll recap so you don't have to read the whole thread. DigitalFAQ restored a VHS for me and encoded it to HuffyUV. It looks great in XMedia Recode. My software (PInnacle 17 Ultimate) won't handle Huffyuv. So I recoded it in XMedia to DV. File size went from 22gb to 10gb. Still looked pretty good. I burned it in Pinnacle to a Blu-ray. Resolution looks pretty good considering it came from a 15 year old VHS. The video is of some dancing, and when they move fast, horizontal lines trail the movement.
I think when Pinnalce burns a disc it converts to MPEG2. Appreciate any help.
09-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
It's a shame you're so married to Pinnacle and had to take two stages of quality loss to get a video. By "BluRay" I assume you mean standard definition BD-R, as upsampling VHS to HD with Pinnacle would be disastrous.

BluRay can be encoded as either MPEG2 or MPEG4/AVC.

You should not see ghost trails in the final video if you didn't see them in the original AVI.
09-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Free Member

Yes, it's Standard Definition. I can play the DVD in XMedia Recode and it looks great. But when I play it on the TV the motion blurs occur. The editing in Pinnacle was done from the DV encoded file. Pretty sure Pinnacle encodes it to MPEG2 when burning. I ordinarily use Taiyo Yuden discs but I ran out and used some cheap disc. Could that be the problem? I see that LordSmurf recommended TMPGEnc for burning. Would that help my situation? I think you can do limited editing in that program.
09-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyes View Post
I'll recap so you don't have to read the whole thread. DigitalFAQ restored a VHS for me and encoded it to HuffyUV. It looks great in XMedia Recode. My software (PInnacle 17 Ultimate) won't handle Huffyuv.
Well, we don't want you to degrade the video.

Pinnacle is the program causing these issues. The "ghost trails" are likely caused by it deinterlacing the video.

Download and install ffdshow: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/
See if that will give you the ability to at least read Huffyuv. It should. That's an alternate method. Then even Pinnacle should be able to read the file.

These so many programs out there that work better than Pinnacle.

What exactly are you "editing" anyway?

09-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Free Member

I can read the HuffyUV file in XMedia Recode. What advantage would ffdshow give me? Could I edit and burn the DVD in it?