11-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Free Member

i have a mpeg video that has a glitch (about 1-to-2 seconds of dropped frames).

after authoring a dvd from that video, during playback, i get freezes and/or crashes from the software dvd player (vlc and total media theatre).

the freeze/crash happens at the point of the glitch.

strangely, the software player plays the mpeg without issues, ie the software player doesn't freeze/crash.

i guess one solution is to cut a small section of the video, at the point of the glitch, and hopefully the new video will playback seamlessly?

are there any other solutions?
(other than finding/recording the video again).
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
There's not enough information here to answer your questions. Where did the mpeg come from? Is it a capture from another source? I would assume so, since you mention dropped frames -- 1 or 2 seconds would be in excess of 25 to 60 frames. That's a lotta dropped frames! Did you do any editing or other processing on the mpeg other than re-author?

Media players are far more forgiving of oddball formats and other problems than set top players are, which expect the source to be technically compliant. So there are any number of explanations for the problem. Your video is mpeg, so you could make a brief unprocessed edit of several seconds using the free DGIndex utility and post a sample of the problem segment here. A brief tutorial on how to cut a sample with DGIndex is here: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...=1#post2272359.
11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Free Member

video was recorded by jvc video recorder capturing tv source. pal format, so 25 fps.

it was created as a "dvd" by the recorder, ie under a "VIDEO_TS" folder and as vobs.
i'm not that video technically aware, so said mpeg - to me, they are similar though i'm sure experts will tell me otherwise.

after recording, i demuxed it into video & audio using pgcdemux.
then used those parts to author a new dvd (with multiple episodes) via dvd lab pro 2.
i don't know for sure, but i doubt pgcdemux and dlp2 did anything to the files.

plus, i was a bit loose/casual with the 1-to-2 seconds remark. it is probably sub-1 second. i know, i know, i have to be more specific when asking for help. apologies to everyone.

bar the above information, i really do not know much else about the video. i have not learnt about GOPs and bitrates and all the other video stuff. all too technical for my pea sized brain to digest.

ok, give me some time to DGI cut the problem area and upload it.

thanks for your help. much appreciated.
11-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Free Member

i restarted the dvd authoring process and this time there doesn't seem to be any issues. playback is fine. so it is good news though it would have been handy to find out what the problem was so i can find a solution for it if it ever popped up again.

anyway, case closed.