01-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I feel this topic has likely been covered before, here or elsewhere on the web, but I can't find it. I'm looking to extract audio from a retail DVD, do some cleanup (likely requiring a conversion from AC3 to WAV and back), then return it to the original DVD structure. Are there any links pointing to how this is done, step by step?

Much thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
"Edit" the audio? I guess you'll have to tell us what you mean by "edit". Clean up audio noise? Remove parts of the audio?

The audio of a DVD is embedded with the video in VOB files. You can copy the VOB structure to MPG on your PC by using something like DVD2MPG. If the DVD is encrypted, you first have to use a decrypter such as AnyDVD or DVDFab. You can demux the audio and video using any of several freeware apps. After you fix the audio you can remux using the same software used to demux the audio and video. After you remux audio with video you need a DVD authoring app to make a new Video_TS folder with new VOBs and menu, and burn a new DVD.

If you cut out or add portions of the audio but leave the video as-is, you'll lose audio sync.

A great many retail DVDs are dual-layer discs.
01-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Free Member

Thank you sanlyn.

By edit, I mean clean up clicks (impulse noises) on the soundtrack without changing the length of the track.

I understand what you've described, but I seem to remember there being a way to extract the audio track and reinsert it into the original structure, regardless of it being a single or dual-layer disc. And without the need to create a new video file or reauthor anything. Is this true or am I remembering incorrectly?
01-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

If your retail DVD is encrypted it will have to be decrypted for you to extract the audio portion from each VOB.
01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Free Member

Sorry if it isn't clear. I'm looking to...

1) Rip the DVD.
2) Extract the audio (converting it if necessary).
3) Make my edits (and convert it back if necessary).
4) Put it back among the original files, into the original files or recreate the files in a way that doesn't change the structural or navigational properties of the command files.
5) Burn a playable DVD-R copy retaining the original structure (menus, alternate audio tracks, chapter stops, etc).

Can any of this be done?
01-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

I know what you're saying. Understand first that all elements of DVD VIDEO_TS structure are tightly integrated, including menus, thumbnails, audio, video, chapter points, etc. A change with any differences from the original structure and program points will likely make your DVD unplayable.

First, look at post #4. Decryption might likely be your first step. Afterward there are various demuxers that can separate VOB files into elementary video and audio streams, and there are many free audio cleanup apps. The revised audio is compressed back to AC3 or its original format by any number of free audio compressors and/or remuxers that can recompress the audio and join it to the video stream (it must be precisely the same bitrate, sampling rate, codec, and data size as the original), and make a new VOB. ImagoMPEG-Muxer is one such remuxer. The linked website directory lists any number of decrypters and editors you could choose, with user comments and some guides: http://www.videohelp.com/software. You can take your pick from any of dozens of apps for decryption, extraction and demuxing, etc. Obviously the high user ratings are the apps to pick. These apps and their interfaces constantly change, so user ratings are usually the best guide to reliability. It's not possible to guide you through every step using these softwares, but most of them are fairly easy to use and do rather limited but specific tasks.

So the basic steps are these: a) decrypt if necessary. DVD Decrypter or DVDFab can do this. b) Use any app to move all files in the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive as VOB files (VOB2MPG is one such app that can do this, but the decrypters can also do it). c) Demux audio and video into elementary streams. Some tools that can do this are DVD Decrypter, DGMPGDec, TSMuxer, TsDemux. d) Revise your audio stream and recompress into its original format. The number of audio apps that can do this is too long to mention, but Audacity is a favorite as well as any of the muxer/demuxers already mentioned. e) Join video and audio into new VOB's. Most of the same software in (c) can do this. f) Make a new Video_TS folder with the iold menus and IFO files but with new VOB's, and burn to DVD. g) Hope for the best.

Remember that you must go through each step for individual VOB program files, which begins with VTS_01_1.VOB. http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Reading Bug (01-30-2016)
01-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much, sanlyn. That seems pretty dicey, but I'll look into trying it.

If anyone else has thoughts, please chime in.