Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Free Member

Hi All
I am playing mini DV tapes in my JVC GR-D250 video camera and taking the output to a 6 pin VIA 1394 OHCI compliant PCI card in my Windows 7 Pro desktop. ScenalyzerLive 4.0 recognizes my camera and puts them in an AVI container for me and I can watch then on my computer.

I would like to edit these then author them to DVD. I installed Avid Free DV 1.61 on my windows 7 desktop to edit them before authoring. Next I try to import the files I just created with ScenalyzerLive 4.0.
digitalfaq1.jpg
Here you see I have selected file to import. In this case by right clicking in the Super Bin then selecting import from the drop down menu.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Avid Free DV is not liking this file.
digitalfaq2.jpg
This is the Gspot data for that file.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

So I go back to Scenalyzer and stream some more from the video camera this time selecting Type 1 DV in capture settings to see if that will work.
digitalfaq3.jpg
Here I am trying to import ( for editing) again except this time with DV Type 1. Still not supported by Avid Free DV.

Here it the Gspot info on the file that was also not supported by AVID.
digitalfaq4.jpg
When I open Avid Free DV I always get this warning so eventually I take heed and Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US

Here you can see quick time installed in Program Files (X86) alongside AVID

Still I cannot import files to edit and the message did not go away.

I played one of the DV tapes again using Avid Free DV in lou of ScenalyzerLive 4.0 Thinking that would automatically put the clips in the bins, but it doesn’t seem to see my firewire input from the camera as ScenalyzerLive 4.0 does.

Anybody see what i am missing? Thanks in advance Scott

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Free Member

Womble works to edit. So I will use that.
02-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Womble? Are you creating a DVD project?
Womble does a really bad job of encoding. The quality is blah, like freeware on "fastest" mode.

FreeDV may not like the DV container made by Scenalyzer. I've never tested that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: bever (02-07-2017)
02-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the input.

lordsmurf
Quote:
Womble? Are you creating a DVD project?
Yes but not yet. I did use Womble "MPEG Video Wizard DVD" to edit out a lot of camera movement then encoded to MP4. I will start a new thread re deinterlacing DV. I forgot to deinterlace the DV before using the "Blah" encoding of Womble. Its not too late for me to go back and do it right. Might as well use a better encoder to get the video from DV to MPEG-2 and from DV to MP4 while I am at it.

lordsmurf
Quote:
FreeDV may not like the DV container made by Scenalyzer. I've never tested that.
capture settijngs scenalayzer.jpg
This are the capture options on Scenalyzer 4.0 live at File>Options>Capture Settings
I have made short captures using all these settings except Matrox and indeed AVID Free DV did not like any of them. Currently trying these programs on a windows 7 machine at some point will also try on an XP system.

Last edited by bever; 02-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.