Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Windows Movie Maker is useless good-for-nothing software, and should even make your list of possible workflows. No more than photographer should consider Paint a possible useful software.

iMovie is passable at best.

I've been using multi-track NLEs since at least 1999 (Premiere v5). I remember what a massive upgrade v6 was, whole new world (including MPEG plugins from both Ligos and Panasonic).
Is Windows Movie Maker even still a thing...I wanted to download it to try it, but I can't find it in Windows 10? What else do you recommend for someone new to vid editing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
I can't call myself an expert by any means, but on the projects I've put together I've been very happy with Corel VideoStudio 10.5 Ultimate. You will probably want to pay for the optional Blu-ray authoring upgrade (very reasonably priced). Some observations:
  • Save your work frequently. I have 16 GB RAM and several terabytes of storage space available, but if you get hot and heavy into a project without saving you run the risk of losing your work. It's not "crash every minute" by any means...but when it does lock up, it tends to be at the worst possible time.
  • When authoring a Blu-ray, you won't be able to do so directly from multiple projects. You WILL lock up. You will have to make note of your chapter points, render the output to MPEG-2, and then use the MPEG-2 files to author your Blu-ray, taking the time to edit your chapter points back in. Authoring from a single Blu-ray project is a 50/50 hit/miss; you won't lose your project work but you may need to re-do the authoring a few times. Authoring to DVD directly from projects works pretty well.
  • The "Instant Project" templates in particular are very worthwhile once you learn how to use them. Additional ones are available for purchase fairly cheaply (~$5 each).
  • The "Auto Music" feature is great, but double-check...I had the misfortune of finding that one track I selected was limited to 51 seconds on a 7-minute project. I tried another track and it worked as advertised. Additional tracks are available, but the royalty-free music is rather expensive.
Would you still buy the Corel software if you knew what you know now having used it? I was leaning towards MAGIX's Vega Movie Studio 15 based on the reviews and the cheap price, but maybe I should reconsider?

Not looking to spend a lot, but I also don't need crazy advanced features. Just looking to learn without being overwhelmed and if I have to upgrade down the road then so be it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Free Member

I’m a Cyberlink devotee and PowerDirector is my choice. It can be simple or complicated depending on what you want to achieve. Very good active forum. Version 17 is on the horizon so sales and coupons should be generous.
06-05-2018, 08:18 AM
Free Member

Patsfan6520,
About 5-6 years ago I used VideoStudio for editing video from VHS, VHS-C, and Video 8 tapes to create DVDs. I didn't experience the issues that ehbowen mentioned, but I used an earlier version of VideoStudio. I checked the Cyberlink forum prior to getting VS and saw too many complaints about system crashes. I would probably download the trial versions of Cyberlink, VideoStudio, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6, and Vegas Movie Studio to determine which one works best on your PC or Mac, has the features you want, and is easiest for you to learn/use.

You didn't mention your video source and what you want your output to be. I have a friend who edits videos from his phone and DSLR camera and only creates files to view on his PC and TV. He uses Da Vinci Resolve 15, which is free.
09-12-2018, 02:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
About 5-6 years ago I used VideoStudio for editing video from VHS, VHS-C, and Video 8 tapes to create DVDs. I didn't experience the issues that ehbowen mentioned, but I used an earlier version of VideoStudio. I checked the Cyberlink forum prior to getting VS and saw too many complaints about system crashes. I would probably download the trial versions of Cyberlink, VideoStudio, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6, and Vegas Movie Studio to determine which one works best on your PC or Mac, has the features you want, and is easiest for you to learn/use..
- Cyberlink, maybe. Some years ago, it was terrible. Not sure about currently.
- VideoStudio gets a lot of praise these days, I want to check it out again myself. In the Ulead days, passable at best.
- TMPGEnc shouldn't even be on this list.
- Magix Vegas Studio (formerly Sony Vegas Studio) is a winner
- and then Adobe Premiere Elements as well, though I'm not sure if Adobe is also using the subscription model for the consumer software (like they now do with the pro CC versions, which is why I still use CS4/CS5/CS6!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan6520 View Post
Is Windows Movie Maker even still a thing...I wanted to download it to try it, but I can't find it in Windows 10? What else do you recommend for someone new to vid editing?
Thankfully not. It was horrible software, even for its time. Pretty much anything, even cheap Chinse software that basically butchered your video, was better.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Free Member

Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 and Photoshop Elements 2018 are still non-subscription.

I thought TMPGEnc Mastering Works 6 was recommended at one time. Maybe it was another one of their products that was recommended.
09-13-2018, 02:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
I thought TMPGEnc Mastering Works 6 was recommended at one time. Maybe it was another one of their products that was recommended.
TAW/TMW is recommended for basic disc authoring, not editing.
The editing is basic at best, mostly just cutting.
TMPGEnc has never really been a suite for editing video. Good software, just not for this specific task.

09-15-2018, 03:31 AM
Free Member

I recently now use Davinci Resolve (Free) all standard functions you need work, and lots more, you should invest some time in this one i'm 60 and think its user friendly, and there are ofcourse (plenty) Youtube guides available.
just try.
09-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Free Member

VideoStudio (now Corel) was Pinnacle Studio and quasi Avid Liquid Pro.. they had a great following, but also nice breakout boxes (the USB not the Dazzle stuff).. those were early all in one packages for about $1000 or more for wedding photographers maybe early 00's sold in placed like BB with and without hardware capture boxes called "breakout boxes or (BOB)s"

Problem with non-current versions of that software line is an annoying separate [Activation Key for 30 day (not-trial)] and [Online Licensing] requirement. When Corel bought the remnants of Pinnacle VideoStudio they discontinued the Licensing service for VideoStudio (all old versions) and Avid Liquid Pro and there is no way to permanently enable the old original Pinnacle versions. -- Be (real careful) about activation technology in all software products, it used to be you bought you own it, or at least a copy.. and didn't need the Internet to validate that claim. Trends today are to (rent) and (take back) software by remotely killing it.. for (your protection since we don't release bug fixes anymore) or (its our right and want you to buy the latest product for your own good). (Sony Vegas pre-Magix actually included a printed by-pass key in case any of their license servers was unavailable.. so they are an extreme exception to the rule)

The support forums for Avid products had a very good following, and even survived [one] transition from the closeout and consolidation from Avid to Pinnacle VideoStudio.. and then that got shutdown when Corel acquired the pieces.. so while it had [old, historical] good word of mouth.. the mouth is now dead and lingers only on Archive.org and zombie sites.

I would take a look at the new Corel VideoStudio but make harsh critical judgements about the editing features, the line was mostly known for the special effects plugins and not for its editing software. And some of the historical word of mouth and good will might get mixed up with the latest product. .. which probably no longer applies.

edit--

Arg.. Pinnacle, Avid, Corel - equals "Studio"

But.. Ulead, Corel - equals "Videostudio/VideoStudio"

product names are such confusing things to keep straight

Last edited by jwillis84; 09-15-2018 at 06:23 PM.
09-16-2018, 03:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
VideoStudio (now Corel) was Pinnacle Studio and quasi Avid Liquid Pro..
Nope, but you figured that out.
- Pinnacle Studio = Pinnacle Studio, still. And it sucks as much now as it always has.
- Ulead has VideoStudio, then Corel bought Ulead (and WordPerfect, and Intervideo, and others) on an M&A buying spree in the late 2000s. Corel was a horrible steward for years, but recent versions of VS and WP are highly respected as quality programs. They snagged up Roxio, Pinnacle and Avid in the early 2010s. And somewhat like Grass Valley did with Canopus, Corel seems to be just milking existing Pinnacle/Avid without really putting forth anything new.

Quote:
Arg..
product names are such confusing things to keep straight
It happens to all of us. I hate product names that are too similar, brands, jargon, etc.

As example, I hate having to always explain which "jitter". The jargon is timing, but the non-jargon is rapid bouncing. I actually think the latter has archaic videography jargon, but can never remember it. Making matters more confusing you usually get jitter because of jitter. Try explaining that to a new newbie, and watching his head explode!

09-16-2018, 06:55 AM
Free Member

It's where lies the interest, you want to do a quick something, or something detailed, a lot of detailed open source tools are good maintained with updates because there's good communication between the users, and some video edit programs existed for selling the hardware to people that have little to no experience with it, and most of the time these people were helped with it, but only for a brief moment because of limited options.
using some of the finest tools, has a steep learning curve, it's an art finding a between path,
One should also not save on hardware sources, good hardware comes at a price, being cheap in choices will make things very hard, also lossy codecs(visual lossless) will make life easy, for VHS capture this isn't important, pro's do it all the time with ProRes422, and the LT version of that is still good enough, and video editing software ? you really should try Davinci Resolve, it's free,not crippled,(i am using it) and really worth the effort, it stands out for it's color correction options, but is easy to use, a lot of options you really don't need, but you can do all edit and save functions, you should use your favourite prog for render to MP4/MKV/AVI, in de-interlaced video, because Davinci Resolve will not do de-interlace and makes too big H264 compressed MP4's to my taste, but it does it well, and takes a while
QuicktimePlayer has also some easy edit and trim functions

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 09-16-2018 at 07:11 AM.
09-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Free Member

Eric-jan, what computer setup are you using (especially the video card)?

I'm using Windows 7 and tried Resolve 15 because some people said it would work despite Magic saying it was only for Win 10 based systems. It didn't work. I tried Resolve 12.5--didn't work. I tried Resolve 11 lite. It tried to work but on startup said my system did not support OpenCL. My system is supposed to be compliant with OpenCL 1.2. After the program starts it crashes a short time later.

Anyone have words of wisdom on how to get Resove to work? A response from Magic in their forum said I need a newer video card. My builtin Intel 4600 graphics was not sufficient. There are so many cards to choose from I don't know what to get. My current two-monitor graphics setup has worked well with many non-game programs including Premiere Elements. I was even able to calibrate both of my monitors with X-Rite's I1 Display Pro.
09-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevid View Post
Eric-jan, what computer setup are you using
He's on Mac, recent or current OS X, using Blackmagic card. Not ideal for capturing, but he is at least aware of the problems and limits he will run into.

I'm thinking that Resolve is made for Mac, but ported to Windows. Not sure, but that's the feeling I get.

09-17-2018, 02:58 AM
Free Member

Yes, i have a Macbook Pro (laptop) 13" early 2015 model 8GB RAM that's not a topmodel in the Apple line, those are even more expensive, currently i run Davinci Resolve 15, yes, watching test on youtube you will find out that davinci resolve does a better job on a MAC OS then on a Microsoft based pc, and a MAC isn't using it's full potential on CPU or graphics card.

Shotcut is also a fun and free video editor, has many codec options too.

Davinci Resolve is mainly a color correcting and grading application, but is also easy to use and is free and fully functional,
Davinci Resolve Studiio is the Professional version, and has also a de-interlace function, i don't have to use now,
with my ES35, because i can capture over the component connection and can set it on progressive.
I still have to unpack my i1 Display pro..... i hope i can use it with my Sony Bravia or Philips tv's, because the have such weird settings options, or i should use a real monitor screen
03-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Free Member

What I'm using now is Joyoshare Media Cutter, which is good at cutting, trimming, splitting and joining video clips without re-encoding, so that you will never lose any original quality. It also supports a wide range of output video formats and devices, including MP4, H. 264, MOV, M4V, WMV, etc. Besides, its trial version offers 5 chances to cut and edit the videos for free, and you can upgrade to the full version with low cost if you like. You can have a try.