Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-15-2019, 07:54 AM
Free Member

I am now digitalize the Huffyuv codec and I have used a format YUY2 and I digitalize the video to 720x576. My video is up to over 50gb in size. What methods do you suggest for me to get my video losslessly enough to fit on a DVD? The videos are in PAL format because I live in Finland.

Am I using an encoder or are there any other solutions? I've been using VirtualDub capture.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

You should have read the guides on this site before agreeing to take on this project for your client. You need to encode your HuffYUV avi into an mpeg-2 video file. To do this you will need a video encoding software. Be aware that there are strict guidelines that must be followed to ensure that your mpeg-2 video files are DVD compliant. Read the guides, and you will gain this knowledge.
04-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMedia View Post
You should have read the guides on this site before agreeing to take on this project for your client. You need to encode your HuffYUV avi into an mpeg-2 video file. To do this you will need a video encoding software. Be aware that there are strict guidelines that must be followed to ensure that your mpeg-2 video files are DVD compliant. Read the guides, and you will gain this knowledge.
This cassette is my own video cassette.

I am confident that we will succeed in this project. I have to learn a lot of things.

-- merged --

Encoding is very difficult but I think I can do it as I learn and get the advice I need.

I also have client cassettes but they don't have a hurry.

I have a hard desire to learn these things well. When I have all these tapes digitized, so the industry to
become familiar with coding at that point.

-- merged --

If you find some easy instructions on how to get this losing on DVD then it's always easier. That file became 48gb in size.

The capture was successful and there was no problem. Until now, I've learned everything. I am very interested in digitalizing videos. I have a goal of a lossless whole.

I use virtualdub software.
04-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Mazufa, here is a link to a guide provided by this website which will show you how to encode a video file from and avi to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file. This guide and others can be found by using the black navigation bar at the top of the page. Hover your mouse cursor over [Guides], then when the drop-down menu appears click on [Digital Video Guides].
04-16-2019, 04:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Mazufa, here is a link to a guide provided by this website which will show you how to encode a video file from and avi to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file. This guide and others can be found by using the black navigation bar at the top of the page. Hover your mouse cursor over [Guides], then when the drop-down menu appears click on [Digital Video Guides].
OK thank you. Lordsmurf has told me these settings with digitalis. So my goal is to get the most lossless result, and that's why I use Huffyuv. Digital biggest PAL format because I am in Finland.

-- merged --

This customer, who is now digitalizing Hi8 PAL picture cassettes, so he didn't want any editing at all. I explained to him that not all of the items might appear on the video if he didn't want them to be handled properly.

He wanted to save money, just digitalize the videos, and put them on a DVD. So this customer does not want the best possible quality when we agree with him on this matter.

So I should get a video file at the capture stage to fit the disc. So do I use MPEG-2?

We have agreed with the customer this way. I think MPEG-2 would be the right choice.

Thank you JPmedia for linking this instruction to me I will learn it and use it in my future projections.
04-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
He wanted to save money, just digitalize the videos, and put them on a DVD. So this customer does not want the best possible quality when we agree with him on this matter.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...#ixzz5lGTiGifV
The easiest and fastest way to dump analog video tape to DVD without any editing or restoration is to feed the video stream to a DVD recorder. Use s-video connection and have a TBC in the chain to ensure stable video if your DVD recorder does not have one already, and perhaps a proc-amp to provide some basic image correction. This is a what you see is what you get approach but may be all an undemanding customer wants.

Many DVD recorders will allow creating of basic menus for the recorded DVD as well. DVD+R media may allow more options for finishing the final DVD than DVD-R media.

Note that a single layer video DVD is limited to abut 1 1/2 hour of SD video at its highest quality data rate.
04-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Free Member

I have the following digitization system.

Windows XP Professional 32bit Computer
Ati All-In-Wonder 7500 agp capture card
I use virtualdub to capture.

Now I would be supposed to digitize VHS and Hi8 video cassettes.

I have a Panasonic NV-HS1000 VCR with TBC
My vision camera is the Sony DCR-TRV230E with TBC also.

So I should now get the cassettes of this project digitized to fit on the DVD.

How do I use MPEG-2 to make files fit on a DVD? What settings do you recommend to me? This customer did not want the best quality, and he wants videos as such on a DVD.

That is, the files must be captured at a max of 4.5gb to fit on the disk. Could you suggest me setting up a virtualdub for this purpose?

After the digitization of the digitalized video, I burn it to a DVD on my computer. All you have to do is set up a virtualdub to get the file up to 4.5gb in the capture stage.

My opinion is that I would use MPEG-2?
04-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Free Member

If you want to burn captured video to standard video DVDs using a PC, to make life simple I would use a DVD authoring program that can accept a wide variety of video file formats and do the necessary encoding to DVD format, and provide a basic menu system capability. The DVD video stream is MPG2 and lossy and highly compressed to about 8 mbps max to stay within the DVD specification.

I use Authoring Works 6.0 to prepare DVDs and Blu-rays. It provide a Cuts-only type of editing capability as well. However, it is a 64-bit app for Win 7 and above.
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw6.html
Version 5 was 32-bit, but i do not know if it is still available.
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/endproduct/taw5.html

The format you use for initial capture is up to you, but should be one supported by your authoring program. It should not be a highly compressed lossy format unless captured directly to a DVD-compatible format that will not require transcoding for DVD use.
04-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
If you want to burn captured video to standard video DVDs using a PC, to make life simple I would use a DVD authoring program that can accept a wide variety of video file formats and do the necessary encoding to DVD format, and provide a basic menu system capability. The DVD video stream is MPG2 and lossy and highly compressed to about 8 mbps max to stay within the DVD specification.

I use Authoring Works 6.0 to prepare DVDs and Blu-rays. It provide a Cuts-only type of editing capability as well. However, it is a 64-bit app for Win 7 and above.
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw6.html
Version 5 was 32-bit, but i do not know if it is still available.
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/endproduct/taw5.html

The format you use for initial capture is up to you, but should be one supported by your authoring program. It should not be a highly compressed lossy format unless captured directly to a DVD-compatible format that will not require transcoding for DVD use.
So do I use MPEG-2 now? I'm going to buy that Pegasys program so it won't hurt even if the file gets hijacked at a stage bigger than 4.5gb. What format and other settings do you recommend to me for virtualdub for this project? MPEG-2 is not the best option for hijacking so what settings do you suggest?

When I get the videos digitalized, I transfer them to the NAS server and convert them to a format suitable for the DVD. Import TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 is a good program because it can also make menus for DVD disc conversion.

I install TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 software on my Windows 10 64bit computer which is powerful enough for conversion.

Fortunately, it is not expensive to bring the TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 program and it is really useful to me.

But for hijacking I definitely use a Windows XP computer and an Ati All-In-Wonder 7500 agp card.

I apologize for my poor English language skills. I have to use a little.
04-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
To capture MPEG with the ATI AIW card, use the ATI MMC software.

I can appreciate that you want to capture, but you're moving faster than anybody can help. You're having one issue after another because you're not slowing down. With video, you cannot "do", then ask questions later. Read first, know what will happen before it happens.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
To capture MPEG with the ATI AIW card, use the ATI MMC software.

I can appreciate that you want to capture, but you're moving faster than anybody can help. You're having one issue after another because you're not slowing down. With video, you cannot "do", then ask questions later. Read first, know what will happen before it happens.
I have received a lot of help forum here and I have learned a lot of things.

I want to use virtualdub because it's a good program. I only asked what settings to use when these cartridges are not of the best quality. Convert captured video with Pegasys program afterwards.

I am looking forward to the instructions that I will not get up to here so fast.

I currently have an Ati All-In-Wonder 7500 agp capture card in use.
I am very satisfied. Ati tv Wonder 600 usb probably got broken.

No one is a blacksmith at birth as we are here in Finland to say.
04-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Free Member

Maybe this is here. Digitization is very interesting and I want to develop myself here. I couldn't get ahead of my digitalization project today. I am should find a good format to digitize the industry. This project does not use huffyuv because the best quality is not desired. So digitalize H 264 or MPEG-2? I installed a trial version from TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6, and I can now convert videos to fit on a DVD. With the same program you can make menus.
04-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Free Member

Quote:
So do I use MPEG-2 now?
Is is not the best way, but can work within its limitations discussed elsewhere, so give it a test and see if you are satisfied with the results. If satisfied, declare victory and move on to the next project. If not...
04-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazufa View Post
IWhat methods do you suggest for me to get my video losslessly enough to fit on a DVD?
Lossless is just the capture.
DVD (or more accurately, DVd-Video) is a delivery format.

You encode the capture to the desired output format. Avidemux is a good encoder program for MPEG and H.264, and then Hybrid has more advanced abilities (and higher quality as a result).

For DVD-Video, authoring is also needed.

Quote:
You should have read the guides on this site before agreeing to take on this project for your client.
I always cringe when a newbie has taken on clients.

Quote:
This cassette is my own video cassette.
I have a hard desire to learn these things well. When I have all these tapes digitized, so the industry to
become familiar with
That's better.

Quote:
I explained to him that not all of the items might appear on the video if he didn't want them to be handled properly.
I think something was lost in translation here.

Quote:
Since you have the ATI AIW card, capture directly to 15mbit MPEG-2, using my settings (interlaced, etc) from the guide. Encode those down to MPEG to fit the DVD(s).
And BTW, DVD is 4.7 gigabits (4.37GB). Neither are 4.5.

Quote:
The easiest and fastest way to dump analog video tape to DVD without any editing or restoration is to feed the video stream to a DVD recorder. Use s-video connection and have a TBC in the chain to ensure stable video if your DVD recorder does not have one already, and perhaps a proc-amp to provide some basic image correction. This is a what you see is what you get approach but may be all an undemanding customer wants.
Mazufa, what TBC do you have?

Although the LSI recorder will be better, to fully remove chroma noise, at very least he can capture 15mbps MPEG-2 with the ATI AIW setup. The 15mbit is Blu-ray/broadcast spec, but can be encoded down to DVD-Video compliant specs. Optionally restored, even if not AVI (not optimal for restoration, but also not impossible for some restoration).

Quote:
Note that a single layer video DVD is limited to abut 1 1/2 hour of SD video at its highest quality data rate.
Size depends on bitrate.
Bitrate : pixels determines macroblocking.
- 352x480 @ 2.5mbps VBR can look quite good, for a 4 hour DVD, depending on source content quality.
- The standard 720x480 @ 5.0mbps VBR used by DVD recorders on "SP mode" is normally 2 hours of content.

Quote:
I have a Panasonic NV-HS1000 VCR with TBC
My vision camera is the Sony DCR-TRV230E with TBC also.
Good VCR, camera is fine.

Quote:
If you want to burn captured video to standard video DVDs using a PC, to make life simple I would use a DVD authoring program that can accept a wide variety of video file formats and do the necessary encoding to DVD format, and provide a basic menu system capability.
"All in one" software rarely does a good job. Everything from video being out of sync to just crap quality are the issue. You want to pre-encode assets to MPEG-2 prior to authoring. Never let authoring software do anything other than author.

DVDWS2 is an excellent authoring program for Windows XP, guides on it in Premium Members subforum.

TDA/TAW is also decent, not the best menus. I still use TDA3 and TAW4 on WinXP and Win7.

Quote:
So do I use MPEG-2 now? I'm going to buy
You're really too quick to buy things without thinking the whole project though. You're getting ahead of yourself. Again, slow down some, stop rushing. Even I cannot rush, or I'll make mistakes.

Quote:
But for hijacking I definitely use a Windows XP computer and an Ati All-In-Wonder 7500 agp card.
I apologize for my poor English language skills. I have to use a little.
I'm guessing the Finnish word for "hijack" (kidnap) is close to "capture" (acquire)?
Your English is fine otherwise.

Quote:
I have received a lot of help forum here and I have learned a lot of things.
I am looking forward to the instructions that I will not get up to here so fast.
No one is a blacksmith at birth as we are here in Finland to say.
I've actually heard that one.

Quote:
see if you are satisfied with the results.
I rarely give that advice. Why? Because being satisfied often changes when you're able to compare it to something better. Then "satisfied" suddenly becomes "unaccaptable". I've seen that many, many times over the years. Usually because my advice helped them see what better looked like, and their old attempts like terrible in comparison. If all you know is dog food, maybe you think it tastes acceptable. But after heaving a steak, you know it's intolerable.

04-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Free Member

I haven't bought anything too fast. I have bought a good capture card, VCR and Hi8 video camera. I have not bought them for hurry. With these devices I do many projects as long as they work.

This my client does not want a decent quality. He only wants videos in digital format on a DVD.

I don't have to study coding for this project. I am studying coding with avidemux for the following projects.

Tomorrow, in some format, I will transfer client videos to digital format. Customize your videos to a suitable size on a DVD using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6.

This customer did not want high quality because he wanted a cheap price for this job.

This customer knows that I am a beginner in the digitization.

I haven't received a sound from my camera yet to get to virtualdub. I use Sound Blaster sound card. I've tried to change the audio settings, but the sound does not come.

Do I need to use a cable other than the S-video cable to get the sound from the Sound Blaster?

I'm just digitalize the VHS recorder so far and I have, no therefore, a video camera sound experience in the matter. So should there be a separate cable for the sound in addition to the S-video cable? The VCR must have at least a different cable for the sound.

I also want to say that this forum has been invaluable to me! There are so many experienced and good people who have helped me, and I always come forward. I would not have found even a good capture card without this forum Now I have a decent Ati All-In-Wonder 7500 agp capture card. I am very willing oppinaan digitalisation properly. Fortunately, I found this great forum!
04-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

You can still provide quality for a decent price. A menu-less TAW author from ATI MMC MPEG-2 @ DVD is minimal, less than what I do, but would work. I did it 15 years ago, for my own hobby projects. But in hindsight, I sometimes wish I'd have done the better BD bitrates.

Yep, read the main site guides, and the forum. Ask questions as needed. Just don't rush.

04-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
You can still provide quality for a decent price. A menu-less TAW author from ATI MMC MPEG-2 @ DVD is minimal, less than what I do, but would work. I did it 15 years ago, for my own hobby projects. But in hindsight, I sometimes wish I'd have done the better BD bitrates.

Yep, read the main site guides, and the forum. Ask questions as needed. Just don't rush.
Lordsmurf? So do you mean that I should do this project with ATI MMC hijacking software?

There is MPEG-2 on Virtualdubi Yes. But if you think ATI MMC is better for this then I will do it.

Do you need to connect a cable other than the S-video cable to the camcorder to make the sound come to your computer? I have not been able to still get video camera sounds on my computer.

I use Sound Blaster sound card. The Capture Device is now Ati All-In-Wonder 7500 Agp.
04-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

s-video is just video.

Audio uses the purple breakout box, using either the loopback cable or the internal AUX wiring. A 3rd option is bypass with RCA>mini adapter, but the other two are preferable. Search the forum, many posts on this in the past.

SoundBlaster is a fairly low quality card, many have issues with distortion on capture. You have to test it.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mazufa (04-16-2019)
04-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
s-video is just video.

Audio uses the purple breakout box, using either the loopback cable or the internal AUX wiring. A 3rd option is bypass with RCA>mini adapter, but the other two are preferable. Search the forum, many posts on this in the past.

SoundBlaster is a fairly low quality card, many have issues with distortion on capture. You have to test it.
So should I have the right audio cable for video camera in addition to S-video cable? Would you show a picture or link to those options?

Here in Finland is now at 00:20 am. I'm pretty tired, and now I have to go to bed.

I'll read the messages in the morning and then.I am to find the right kind of good audio cable for video camera.
04-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

What sort of audio output does the camera have?