11-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

It's been months since I've been away but I'm slowly going back to the VHS digiting getgo again.
After having my raw AVI caps ready for processing, I do my editing and filtering magic in VDub and begin encoding and noticed that the encoding time has gotten MUCH slower than how fast it originally goes. The encoding time even stalls for a couple of minutes then goes to 20fps.

I will say that I'm compressing with Huffyuv and my filters are resizing from 720x480 to 960x720, deinterlacing yadif TFF, and camcorder color denoise at level 40.

The encoding stalls so much that I leave my computer alone for 10 minutes and come back seeing that the "3D accelerator no longer available".

Are there any ways to fix the stalling and speeding encoding times in Vdub?
Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/7Rqq8Po
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

All I could suggest is some standard debugging techniques of trying only one vdub filter or avisynth operation at a time to see which one is causing the huge dip in performance. Or, as much as possible, try removing a step if you can to see which step might make a big difference on decreasing frame processing rate. This should help isolate the problem to something more specific. Once you identify the change that makes things go bad, you can probably get more help from members that have done that operation and what you might have done unintentionally to make it go south.

Or perhaps the avisynth script is too complex and/or vdub is reaching some kind of memory limit. Something in the chain is probably doing something very demanding, perhaps by accident or not what you intended?

If you have older scripts that you knew worked better, try running those again to see if you can get back to a known baseline that shows nothing else has happened to your machine and that it is something different about your new script or filter.
11-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Free Member

Ok, I managed to solve the issue. It seems the problem was caused by my laptop's secondary HDD, which I'm noticing has a very large response time. How I fixed it was I tilted my laptop and the HDD started to work right, speeding up the encoding process. To possibly fix this issue, I'll buy a 2TB SSD to replace the secondary HDD soon, hopefully, things will run back to normal or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
try removing a step if you can to see which step might make a big difference on decreasing frame processing rate.
When I began to troubleshoot the issue, I tried removing the CCD, even tried different compressors, still, the encoding stalled. When I said I had to tilt my laptop for the HDD to respond, months ago my laptop was on a VESA mount, so the laptop was already tilted and the HDD was working well.

Darn Seagate drives...

Thanks keaton!
11-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Kudos for having good troubleshooting skills.

... but I like Seagate.

2tb? Puny Banner! I settled for 4tb Samsung 850 EVO drives. Not liking SSD speeds on newer QLC drives. I wish they'd just make thicker TLC drives, more cells, instead of trying to squeeze it all in 2.5". More now, size later. Still waiting for the suib-$500 16tb SSD to arrive, someday, preferably TLC. I always liked this video from Linus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffzVc7ZB-o

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
virtualdub