Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-20-2022, 02:49 PM
Free Member

I need to digitize an old VHS tape which has a stereo audio track. The sound is completely normal when recorded from a mono VCR, but a Stereo VCR added this random crackle. Could this be the fault of the tape, or the VCR?

-- merged --

I want to digitize an old VHS tape which has a stereo audio track. The sound is completely normal when recorded from a mono VCR, but a HI-FI VCR has this random crackle and a few audio dropouts.
Could this be the fault of the tape, or the VCR? And would it be possible to fix this at home?

Sample below.

Attached Files
File Type: wav SmplVHSSterCrackl.wav (5.03 MB, 13 downloads)
File Type: wav SmplVHSSterCrackl.wav (5.03 MB, 14 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-20-2022, 03:03 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Yep. That's classic HiFi dropout.

Few options, none of them especially convenient.

1) Clean the heads and try again
2) Capture twice, once auto tracked for picture, and a second audio pass with a manual tracking setting for audio. This often greatly minimises dropout but it's a pain.
3) Try a different machine.

Some tapes simply didn't handle depth-multiplex recording very well, and for dull reasons, HiFi audio is often the first casualty of tape aging. Lower quality or older types of tape-stock don't handle HiFi very well.

There was no absolute defined standard of HiFi recording and some machines handle it slightly differently, sometimes another deck will have greater success.

We spent about four years researching HiFi VHS for archiving, the results, when the system works, are sublime, but as you've found out, it can also be a very troublesome system. Panasonic machines seemed to be the most consistent, but that's a very broad trend, not a suggestion to go and blow your savings on one.
Head clean first though, that's the easiest thing to try.
04-20-2022, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Thanks for answering. I'll add some details I forgot to say, if you don't mind, which could make a difference for conclusion: It's not really dropping out that much, maybe 1-2 times in the 1.5h recording, and the sound returns almost instantly. The sound is perfectly fine for the most part, but the crackling just sits on top of the sound. The heads as you mentioned have been cleaned too.
Many other HI-FI tapes have had the same issue on the same VCR. I guess it's the hardware that's causing this then.
04-20-2022, 06:22 PM
Free Member

When all else fails a common digital audio tool called a Declicker can help a lot. Its been around since the 80's and is used extensively on vinyl records but can also help in this application.
04-21-2022, 07:43 AM
Free Member

As always, actual audio demo's tell the story far better than words. Here are two files. One is your audio file Declicked. The other contains just the clicks in your file which were removed. Your original file also included for comparison.

Not a perfect removal but I'm sure you'll agree it's a vast improvement.

I used a software product sold by Acon but there are lots of Declickers out there.

Cheers, Tim.

Attached Files
File Type: wav Declicked HiFi track.wav (3.55 MB, 18 downloads)
File Type: wav Clicks removed.wav (4.80 MB, 11 downloads)
File Type: wav SmplVHSSterCrackl.wav (5.03 MB, 13 downloads)
04-23-2022, 03:40 AM
Free Member

Oh the program works wonderfully, Thanks for showing this!
04-23-2022, 04:42 AM
Free Member

Yes a great effective tool here. My pleasure.

If your video editing program doesnt have a Declicker as standard, you can usually purchase a Declicker tool
as say a VST which can be used as an "effect" within the video editing programme.

Tags
hi-fi vhs crackle