Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-14-2020, 06:50 PM
Free Member

https://www.criterion.com/current/po...at-masterpiece

I thought some of you on this board might be interested in reading this article.
The following users thank scanline for this useful post: keaton (05-14-2020)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

How much you wanna bet that "obscure command-line software" was AVISynth running QTGMC scripts?
05-14-2020, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
How much you wanna bet that "obscure command-line software" was AVISynth running QTGMC scripts?
Yeah, "obscure", huh?! That's rich.

Maybe somebody stumbled upon this forum while deciding to look outside the big wiz-bang GUI suites they are used to. Open source FTW Guess they didn't find out about Hybrid, though.

A bit shocking that a company like Criterion, which is so highly regarded for the work they do, has somebody stumble upon this at the last minute. I guess they rarely deal in SD video and haven't been paying attention lately, which surprises me. I would think a company that handles 20th century content from lesser known filmmakers and with lower budgets would have dealt with more source material shot in SD video. Fascinating peak behind the curtain.
05-14-2020, 11:36 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
Yeah, "obscure", huh?! That's rich.

Maybe somebody stumbled upon this forum while deciding to look outside the big wiz-bang GUI suites they are used to. Open source FTW Guess they didn't find out about Hybrid, though.

A bit shocking that a company like Criterion, which is so highly regarded for the work they do, has somebody stumble upon this at the last minute. I guess they rarely deal in SD video and haven't been paying attention lately, which surprises me. I would think a company that handles 20th century content from lesser known filmmakers and with lower budgets would have dealt with more source material shot in SD video. Fascinating peak behind the curtain.
To be honest, I feel like Criterion has been coasting on their name for a LONG time--at least from a technical perspective.

Their main contribution is in art house / cult film curation, but their releases are often technically behind competitors in other regions.

For example, they were doing commentary tracks on $100 LD releases in the mid 1980s when 99% of people were renting VHS, but they don't even do UHD discs yet in 2020.

Don't get me wrong either--I still have respect for them and a lot of their content / promotion. I also realize that they are often at the mercy of licensing and materials that they are given. However, it's a bit sad when they don't even have the very best technical release for a lot of their output.

They survive off of certain key exclusives and the sheep that just mass buy a ton of discs just because they say "Criterion" on the spine. But anyone really paying attention has seen this for years.