digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   Digital8 jumpy audio, pixelation tapes? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/10690-digital8-jumpy-audio.html)

sublimesed 06-03-2020 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have successfully converted 4 other tapes using this Camcorder, so I'm wondering if these can be salvaged or if the heads need to be cleaned after a bad tape? Theses tapes were originally recorded on this camcorder.

The output from the LCD screen on the camcorder is the same as the capture via Firewire.

Camcorder
Brand: Sony
Model: DCR-TRV140
Output: Firewire

Tape
Brand: Sony
Model: Hi8 MP 8mm Video Cassette

See attached video for a clip of what it's doing. It wouldn't play in WMP, but it works in VLC.

latreche34 06-11-2020 02:50 PM

Did you try the basic troubleshooting already? Clean the heads, clean the cable contacts, change the firewire cable, rewind the tape to relieve excessive tension, You should have done all this before you even start the thread.

dpalomaki 06-11-2020 06:51 PM

Do the 4 tapes that previously ingested OK now show similar issues. If so it is likely dirty heads. If they still play OK it may be a flaw in the tape.

After cleaning the heads, if the problem persists, try connected the analog output (s-video or composite) to a TV set? Do you still see the problems? If not error correction in the player may be patching it for the analog output and you could capture that stream. (Typically the firewire data stream does not have error correction.)

sublimesed 01-19-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpalomaki (Post 69385)
Do the 4 tapes that previously ingested OK now show similar issues. If so it is likely dirty heads. If they still play OK it may be a flaw in the tape.

After cleaning the heads, if the problem persists, try connected the analog output (s-video or composite) to a TV set? Do you still see the problems? If not error correction in the player may be patching it for the analog output and you could capture that stream. (Typically the firewire data stream does not have error correction.)

This is what I was looking for! Thanks, I will try that and report back.

-- merged --

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpalomaki (Post 69385)

It is working properly via S-Video and Audio Cables. Thanks!