Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-24-2020, 06:37 AM
Free Member

My workflow is as follows:

JVC SR V10U -> TBC1000 -> Tevion USB (TI chip) via S-video with RCA connected to mini port using Windows 10. Captured using VirtualDub with 0 dropped frames, 0 inserted, 0 jitter, etc. It actually works very well for me.

I have the JVC in Edit mode with TBC on.

The video looks pretty good to me, but wanted to know what others thought would be best filters on this should be. I'm still learning many of the filters and working on getting the best I can. Goal would be to archive restored avi video and upload mp4 streaming to vimeo and youtube to share with friends and family.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Attached Files
File Type: avi 06 - 1990-10-12 marching band.avi (97.55 MB, 40 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-24-2020, 08:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I rarely suggest using EDIT mode on JVC VCRs. That turns off all NR in the deck, leaving chroma noise, excess grain, and other issues. I believe it even affects the DOC effectiveness.

Perhaps if your tapes are pristine commecial releases?
Maybe SP recordings made in a (then) high-end quality camcorders?

Your samples isn't that. Try recapture with AUTO/NORM settings.

Your biggest problem right now is chroma noise, use the VirtualDub CCD filter. The values are hot/overexposed, but it was mostly shot that way. An analog proc amp would have helped, probably, maybe. Depends on how bad the tape error is baked in.

Audio is crackly, like the tracking wasn't 100%.

Grain is tolerable, give false impression of sharpness. JVC's auto/norm Picture Mode will remove it, but the same false grain can be added back in VirtualDub (and better).

Was that the whole band, or just an on-field ensemble?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to play some with the filters and re-post. I noticed when I used Norm that it seemed overly soft and I had no way of changing that setting, so I figured I'd use Edit and fix in post.

My father used the same RCA camcorder from about 1981 until the early 90s before he got a different one. He was a tv/vcr repairman and just kept fixing it. He would record in SP, but then dub in EP/SLP onto a different videotape and reuse the old one. Many many many bits and pieces of old videos on the original two tapes he reused over and over for years. Audio is due to these bad dubs and using, like, Sears brand vcrs to do it rather than the ones he used at work. Never made sense to me, but there you have it.

That's our Brass Choir. We went on field before every game to play the Star Spangled Banner.
06-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Free Member

OK, I've attempted a bit of a restore. I've included the vcf file showing what I used. Thoughts? I had to cut a bit more off the end for file limits. Thanks for any help you all can give!

Attached Files
File Type: avi 06 - 1990-10-12 marching band-a.avi (96.72 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: vcf 1990 band.vcf (1.3 KB, 8 downloads)
06-27-2020, 12:13 PM
Free Member

One more different attempt at this with a bit of cropping and some different color filters. Thoughts?

Attached Files
File Type: avi 06 - 1990-10-12 marching band-b.avi (72.55 MB, 14 downloads)