Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I am attempting some post processing clean up for captured VHS home videos. I've read through many posts here and other forums to find some excellent advice. However, a lot of it was tailored to the specific requestor's clips, so some of it was tough to follow. I was hoping for someone to take a look at my attached clip to see if anything could be done about the green/magenta artifacts that can be seen on the swing set and the top of the roof of the shed. I believe this is the fault of the camera, as I see it on multiple tapes in outdoor scenes where an object should be white/bright. Is there a filter that can be used to reduce it? When the camera zooms in on the swing set, the artifacts disappear. Also, if there are general enhancement filters that would be suggested to just give a slight boost to the overall image quality. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using StaxRip as a way to post process using Avisynth filters, and VirtualDub for trimming videos in direct stream copy mode. My final goal will be for these home videos to be cleaned as best as I can get them (no miracles), apply minor color correction and deinterlace (with QTGMC) for distribution on a Plex server. I have tried leaving them interlaced, but they don't play back well on a web browser or mobile device through Plex. I will keep the original lossless AVI captures on mirrored external drives for archival purposes.

Workflow: JVC HR-S7500U > Sony RDR-GX7 > AIW 9800 / AIW USB 2.0 (S-Video end to end) - I've had better capture results going through the Sony DVD recorder than without it. The JVC has the TBC/NR circuit engaged with all other features off. The Sony has all NR disabled, but it is working well enough as a frame sync and reducing most of the vertical jitter I encountered without it. I have also used the Sony as a basic proc amp to dial back the contrast a bit, which even when set to 0 (in a -3 to +3 range) was crushing blacks in very dark scenes. The proc amp settings for the AIWs are set to 128 for everything except sharpness, which is 200 (this was the default, I did not change it, even though in some places I've read sharpness should also be 128). I cannot afford a full frame TBC at this time, so this is the best I can do equipment wise.

Attached Images
File Type: png Swing Set Frame 20.png (728.4 KB, 18 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi Swing Set Clip.avi (85.63 MB, 16 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
You have a lot of chroma noise.

What are the menu entries on that 7500? I forget.
What you don't want to do is set it into an EDIT mode, which disables all chroma NR.

Camcorder Color Denoise (CCD) in VirtualDub helps reduce chroma noise. Look at your sample with preview, showing noise. That swing and roof light up.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Free Member

Thanks lordsmurf!

I've attached screenshots of my JVC HR-S7500U's menus. From what I've read, Edit mode on this unit is called Tape Dub Mode and it is turned off. I will look at Camcorder Color Denoise to see if I can reduce the chroma noise. I appreciate the advice!

Attached Images
File Type: png JVC Menu 001.png (472.5 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: png JVC Menu 002.png (482.9 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: png JVC Menu 003.png (431.1 KB, 5 downloads)