08-31-2019, 04:30 PM
Free Member

I was reading this thread:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...-avisynth.html

Was wondering if this is the latest on the topic (a number of years old now). I couldn't find the guides LS mentioned he was working on nor the final script.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Unfortunately it appears that medical issues and site upgrades put the kabosh on big tutorial plans, and I can certainly emphathize. But IMO there's no such thing as a true all-encompassing tutorial. it's like promising to teach 100% of Java scripting in a single thread -- not really possible. And many have tried to devise a one-size-fits-all Avisynth script to fit all cases. That's like coming up with a one-size-fits-all routine for fixing cars: more fantasy than praqcicality.

Most people start with Avisynth's own Getting Started (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started). One caution: they recommend that you try the test scripts by playing them in Windows Media Player. Well, don't do that. Bill and his boys have turned WMP into pure junkware. You might as well riun Avisynth scripts the way most people do, with Virtualdub. VDub sees qan Avisynth script as a video, so just open it using "Open video file...", look for your .avs script file, and open it.

Beyond simple test scripts, most people learn Avisynth by looking through forums to see how others use it. Actual working scripts are the way most users pick nup tips on scripting and on how to use the filters. Most of the popular filters themselves have extensive documentation -- just type "Avisynth" and the name of a plugin in google, and you'll get more than you bargained for. Avisynth's hundreds of built-in functions and utilities can be researched in the same way. And don';t forget that Virtualdub's filters are also important.

You'll find dozens of threads in the forum that go into detail on Avisynth and Virtualdub usage, often with pictures and with samples of dreadfully awful video that needs serious work. In the thread at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...d-problem.html post #8 shows how to analyze a video problem, while post #9 discusses line-by-line details of an Avisynth script used to try to fix things. Another thread shows what illegal levels are, each step in YUV levels correction in Avisynth, and an mp4 of kids' picnic reworked from an original sample (post #6 in http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post50797). http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-avisynth.html is a thread with several posts of Avisynth/Virtualdub process details and download links.

Post #3 in the thread http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post57143 has Avisynth script details and a few download links, and post #2 in that same thread has a bunch of filter links. Unfortunately post#2 has bad link to the QTGMC package that lacks MaskTools, but it's corrected in post #6. Entire thread is useful for script details, links, and notes about Avisynth 2.6.

In another thread there's a ton of video samples, images, scripts, details and links on page 3 and page 4.

Still another thread at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...restoring.html and lots of pictures and details in posts #2, #4, #6 and #8.

There are links to several filters in another thread in post #15, with lots more detail for Avisynth controls and Avisynth filters in Information Overload #1, followed by Information Overload #2, Information Overload #3, Information Overload #4, and some of my own sister's dumb video mistakes in Information Overload #5.

That might be enough to get you started. There are many, many more.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: jglas (05-23-2021)
09-03-2019, 12:30 AM
Free Member

Thanks I appreciate your extended reply. I'll check out all the links you provided. I take your point about not being able to generate a one size fits all script. Though, from what I've seen there are particular scripts that work well for a particular condition. I think it would be helpful to build a collection of AviSynth functions (most scripts are monolithic making it harder to mix and match) that perform the best for a given issue. Then we can string the functions needed for a given clip. I also get that Fix A may not work for Clip A, but again it would be fine to have multiple that address specific problems (if nicely named).

I believe there's a wealth of great information and scripts here, but doing the search on AviSynth and trying to piece it together is quite time consuming and sometimes confusing as some threads are old, but may still be relevant or there maybe a better way now, its just hard to know. I see references to "you're using my old script …", but where is the 'latest' of these?

In some of the threads you mention you've detailed one of your scripts (very helpful btw), but collecting all the various plugins etc can be a bit confusing/time consuming (as some of the posts highlight). I think it would be good to have a similar download with all the relevant plugins that work together like LS has for VirtualDub. I have a download from elsewhere that lets you swap which version of AviSynth is active between a bunch including x64 etc. I'm looking to collect the various recommended plugins together and maybe submit that to make getting started a little easier.

Again thanks for the links I'll start working my way through them. I'll let the forum know if I start to break them down into more manageable pieces. Maybe even setup a Git repo for them?
09-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Free Member

Oh btw do we have links to the latest scripts from the following members:
  • sanlyn
  • JohnMeyer
  • LordSmurf
  • others?

Thanks
09-03-2019, 01:49 AM
Free Member

Download Selurs "Hybrid" software. It's freeware.
It has most of the avisynth plugins included (up to date). Once installed you have an avisynth plugin folder on your pc from which you can use the avisynth filters with any other program like virtual dub or.....
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: archivarious (03-05-2021)
09-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
Download Selurs "Hybrid" software. It's freeware.
It has most of the avisynth plugins included (up to date). Once installed you have an avisynth plugin folder on your pc from which you can use the avisynth filters with any other program like virtual dub or.....
Thanks I did check out the software. It messed with an existing install I had of AviSynth, but I found the UI to be what we used to call the 747 class (ie a LOT of dials and switches). I'm sure it can do a decent job if you know what you're doing, but its not at all intuitive. I was also getting a double screen ie original/filtered + original/filtered (so 4 images).

I checked out the plugins folder they have and when I copied the x32 plugins folder (which appeared as you say to have the latest) I was getting issues with trying to load an x64 dll in a x32 process, which was odd as the dll was named 32. Anyway the value prop for this software isn't clear to me. I'm using AvsPmod for executing scripts which is quite good and easy to use for testing scripts.
10-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Free Member

Hey dnppro! Reply here a year later because I'm just getting started with AviSynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnppro View Post
I think it would be helpful to build a collection of AviSynth functions (most scripts are monolithic making it harder to mix and match) that perform the best for a given issue. Then we can string the functions needed for a given clip. I also get that Fix A may not work for Clip A, but again it would be fine to have multiple that address specific problems (if nicely named).
Where are you at one year later? Did you make a repository of "functions"? If not, what was your learning process like? What advice do you have for other folks starting out?