digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Restore, Filter, Improve Quality (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/)
-   -   How can i remove black bar from side of mpg?? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1134-how-remove-black.html)

Konfusion 11-24-2007 05:09 PM

How can i remove black bar from side of mpg??

i got a bunch of episodes on dvd of love boat and the episodes i got were kinda retarded burned and some weird black line on the side. how can i remove this black bar on the right. so it doenst look funny on my tv.
its all mpg but im trying to remake the disc since
1 the person that sent me the episodes is retarded and cant make menus for crap and
2 doesnt know how to burn.

so since i had to extract the video from the dvd anyways i might as well fix it some what.

manthing 11-24-2007 08:00 PM

the only way i know is to use some sort of mpeg "editor"
like tmpgenc xpress

load up the mpeg
then in one of the options, you can resize, "black-out", center it etc

in your case, my guess is you will have to "trim" the RHS black border
and possibly "black-out" the bottom so as to hide the fuzzy lines

someone like LS can give a more detailed explanation
and perhaps recommend a better product than tmpgenc

but let me warn you now
this is a very long process
a 45 minute show might take several hours to re-do
depends on the hardware you have

example, i have dual core 2GHz
to re-do a 45 minute show will take about 2+ hours

good luck

lordsmurf 11-24-2007 10:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There's nothing weird about that. It's unused overscan from a typical broadcast use of the screen space. The bottom has VHS head noise. All of that should fall into the television overscan, something you won't see on tv. You'll just lose quality trying to remove it, and it's unnecessary. If the black bar is visible on screen, just do it.

If you insist on fixing it, do this (and EXACTLY this, don't alter the numbers shown):

Attachment 446

Attachment 445

Attachment 444

I suggest encoding to 352x480 with 5000k CBR. Put 5-6 episodes per disc. More TMPGenc Plus settings:
- HIGH motion quality. MPEG-2 MP@ML, VBV 224
- Interlaced encode mode, top field interlace on the source (second tab, ADVANCED, shown in image above), 4:3 29.97fps, 9-bit DC.
- On Quantize tab, put default matrix, uncheck all boxes that can be unchecked.
- GOP tab should be closed GOP, 1-5-2 / 1-18 (default), detect scene, last one unchecked.

Only use TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, not anything else, not another version.

lordsmurf 11-24-2007 10:05 PM

Is that PAL? If so, 352x576. Do not convert to NTSC. That will really mess up quality.

cp32 11-24-2007 11:53 PM

Buddah smurf :P

Konfusion 11-25-2007 03:35 AM

cool thanks. well this ep is pal some are ntsc.. what do i do if i have a bunch of mixed ntsc and pal vobs/mpgs??

so its normal to have just 1 big black bar on the right and not on the left?

Konfusion 11-25-2007 03:43 AM

also where is the option of output method 352x576? all i see is 720x576

lordsmurf 11-25-2007 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Make two sets as best you can. leave PAL with PAL, NTSC with NTSC. Out of order a little bit? So what. Quality is more important.

You have to click UNLOCK

Attachment 447

Krichton 11-26-2007 04:27 PM

These are not visible on any tv so why worry about them?

Konfusion 11-26-2007 05:59 PM

lol. ya they are on all tvs i have. im not talking about a small black bar on both sides thats not visable. i know what those are. but this is only on 1 side and is double sized. if it was half sized on both sides it wouldnt be visable at all. but this just makes un uneven video with a black bar sticking out on the right side of the tv. i figured it out though so its all good.

lordsmurf 11-26-2007 07:25 PM

If you followed my method, then the final video should be perfectly fine. No loss in quality, and one black bar now gone. It was a bad broadcast, had nothing to do with whoever recorded the set. You get these a lot on homegrown locals (not networks).

Konfusion 11-26-2007 08:48 PM

ya worked out fine thanks. came across another episode that has constant freezes. like it plays for a second then freezes for a second. goes throughout the entire episode. is there a way to re encode it so it plays with out pausing every 2 seconds.

lordsmurf 11-27-2007 05:04 AM

Open it in VirtualDub (MPEG2 or MOD version, that reads MPEG files). Does it show all the frames there? If so, the encode was botched, and it can be done. If it freezes in VirtualDub, no, frames are missing are repeated in the capture.