Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-14-2023, 02:55 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone

I have an old home movie that has bad tracking lines thru it, I've been told this is something that might be fixable during capture if the place has the right equipment.

I've attached a clip from a local service's capture of the tape (they made no attempt to fix it to my knowledge). It's not this bad through the whole tape but is present through much of it.

Does it look like there is any hope? If it looks like it might be fixable, does anyone have any recommendations on who can do it? Spec Bros?

Thanks in advance to all for any advice

Attached Files
File Type: avi tracking error example.avi (6.53 MB, 82 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-14-2023, 04:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Spec Bros is for physically damaged media -- tapes with mold, in a mudslide, from a flood, etc.
Not for signal errors.

What you have there may be misalignment issues.

However, open the tape gate. Do you see any physical damage to the tape? It should be a smooth shiny piece of black mylar. No wrinkles, curled edges, other mangling.

It this is an alignment issue, Contact Us.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-14-2023, 07:57 AM
Free Member

Do all tapes do that, or just that one? Agree with lord Smurf that it is probably one of the guides isn't matching how the tape was recorded and is probably P2/P3 guide. Most don't recommend messing with alignment on a main/high end VCR because you want that VCR to play most tapes and you may not want to chance not getting it back into the ideal/usual alignment afterwords since that specific alignment was only needed for that one tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUY7cFP9zw
10-14-2023, 03:39 PM
Free Member

I don't even have a VCR that I think I want to risk putting the tape in. Looks like I may ask DigitalFAQ itself to try.

@lordsmurf, the tape looks shiny to me. I'll send that email later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It this is an alignment issue, Contact Us.
@lordsmurf, I've sent a couple of emails over the last few weeks, but haven't gotten any reply yet. I think I followed the instructions on the contact page correctly. Tried two different email addresses in case it went to spam. Is there another way?
11-15-2023, 07:15 AM
Free Member

As already suggested it's probably a tape guide (entry) needing custom alignment to that particular tape. For a skilled operator it's not exactly rocket science, and usually only takes seconds to adjust the relevent guide inside the VCR. Some of us on the forum have done it many times. A totally clear picture isnt always guaranteed but usually substantial improvement can be expected.
12-03-2023, 12:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry27 View Post
@lordsmurf, I've sent a couple of emails over the last few weeks, but haven't gotten any reply yet. I think I followed the instructions on the contact page correctly. Tried two different email addresses in case it went to spam. Is there another way?
You can always PM me, but I think we're in contact now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-04-2023, 06:53 PM
Free Member

Yep! I got a reply on Friday, now just waiting for shipping instructions