02-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Free Member

I captured a 1985 video for a friend that has a blue bleed/shift issue. The issue became very obvious while I was trying to correct levels. Is there a way to fix this?

I've included a couple of examples of the Lagarith-based capture video and the same example footage from the partially edited video. The captured videos are interlaced running at 29.97fps. The edited videos are progressive running at 59.97fps.

In the example 1s, the misplaced blue really shows up along the right edge of the background chest, the guy's coat and on faces. In the example 2s, the blue really shows up around the wreath on the white wall near the top of the video.

Thank you very much,
Steve

Attached Files
File Type: avi Blue shift issue example 1.avi (73.51 MB, 31 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Blue shift issue example with levels adj 1.mp4 (39.97 MB, 8 downloads)
File Type: avi Blue shift issue example 2.avi (84.42 MB, 7 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Blue shift issue example with levels adj 2.mp4 (38.36 MB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-14-2021, 05:03 PM
Free Member

Actually I should say the video has a blue bleed/shift issue. My friend looks fine except it is very cold today so may be does have a blue shift.
02-14-2021, 05:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevid View Post
blue bleed
My fellow Smurfs?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-14-2021, 08:57 PM
Free Member

AVISynth no doubt could fix it, but if you develop a sudden blue shift like I do whenever somebody mentions it, have a try with 32-bit VDub and use the Flaxen VHS filter. It allows you to move the edges horizontally and vertically. Only works with 32-bit Vdub.
02-15-2021, 11:33 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the information. I have spent a fair amount of time today working on this and traveling down several rabbit holes. For example, I looked at ChromaShift and its newer ChromaShiftSP. I'm currently setup for 64-bit AviSynth+ so I tried ChromaShiftSP. It shifts all colors in the x and/or y directions, which did not solve the problem. The blue on the wall by the background furniture is more of a ghost than full blown chroma shift.

I will try Flaxen but I expect it will operate similar to ChromaShiftSP

I use Davinci Resolve Studio. It has the ability to breakout each RGB channel into separate nodes. I shifted blue left and it affects everything as expected. The ghostly blue goes away but then blue from the wall is now on the dark furniture. Again, the ghostly shifted blue I'm seeing on the wall next to the furniture appears to not be a full chroma shift.

Still no solution so I'm open to any other suggestions. I've seen this issue on other VHS captures. In one capture in particular a blue pen was blue as it should be and had a blue ghost next to it on the right. Nothing else in the image had blue out of place.

Oh, as far as Smurfs, I think anyone who goes outside tonight in Dallas will instantly turn blue. I have not seen temperatures this low in the Dallas area (near 0F) for over 30 years.

Thanks,
Steve
02-16-2021, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

I was going to take a crack at it. However, I cannot get it to load in Virtualdub 1.9.11 (the version posted often on this forum). The MediaInfoXP tool says it is created by Virtualdub2. So, apparently, a Lagarith file written by Vdub 2 is not backward compatible. I use Lagarith AVI regularly for capture and post, so I know my setup is otherwise OK.

I did preview the first .avi file in a media player.

You mentioned ChromaShift. That would have been my first bet also. I assume you are aware you can choose to shift either the U channel (U=-2), V channel (V=-2), or both (C=-2). So I'll assume you've already tried each of these options at different values to see if any produce a desirable result.

Something I would have played with is FixVHSOversharp (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters and go to the Ghost Removal section). I learned about it on this forum, so search the forum for some examples as well. Not a color shifter so much as a dark or bright halo remover. I used it on some camcorder shot footage recently to help soften some fairly strong edges. Not sure, but perhaps attempting to fix colors could have made more neutral halos appear bluish. So it may also be somewhat of a camcorder edge contrast issue. Try this and any other method for reducing these edges before attempting to color or contrast correct to test the effectiveness of these methods. If/when you find a good solution, then you can re-introduce color and contrast corrections.

Another thing I've used and heard about on the forum is MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(depth=X)) or MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=X)). Search the forum for more examples. Latest plugin and reference at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AWarpSharp2 This is a combo used to soften color issues around edges. If you call aWarpSharp without passing the result to MergeChroma as shown above, you'll see how it softens the image. When passing the result to MergeChroma, only the color part of that softened image is used, preserving the luminance channel.

Best of luck to you.
02-16-2021, 07:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton
I was going to take a crack at it. However, I cannot get it to load in Virtualdub 1.9.11 (the version posted often on this forum). The MediaInfoXP tool says it is created by Virtualdub2. So, apparently, a Lagarith file written by Vdub 2 is not backward compatible. I use Lagarith AVI regularly for capture and post, so I know my setup is otherwise OK.
I cannot open the files in 1.10.4 either (I have Lagarith installed).
02-17-2021, 02:38 AM
Free Member

I did use VirtualDub2. I guess its Lagarith software might be a newer verison--maybe? My old Win7 computer that had VirtualDub 1.9 literally went up in smoke last spring. On my new Win10 computer I set up VirtualDub2 32-bit and 64-bit and avisynth+.

Anyway keaton, thanks for the suggestions. Shifting the chroma didn't work. The issue seems to be related to haloing/ghosting which I have been reading about on Doom9. There have been some very extensive scripts written to try to overcome the problem. I just saw FixVHSOversharp mentioned on Doom9. Unfortunately, FixVHSOversharp is so old there's no link to it on the AviSynth wiki except to the Wayback machine archives.

So far, my problem seems to be different that just ghosting. My abnormalities have soft edges where the solutions I've seen so far on Doom9 were for distinct hard edge ghosts. I'll check out the MergeChroma and AWarpSharp and some other approaches. I'll also try a test recapture with the player's builtin TBC/denoiser turned off to see if it was contributing to the problem.

I will definitely take care of the issue before grading. Grading enhanced the issue which led me to go back to the source to see what the problem was.

Thanks,
Steve
02-17-2021, 06:40 AM
Free Member

My work for this particular video if that can help you (there is more than just blue shift imo):
video: https://mega.nz/file/vY5w1JoZ#ChzGP1O6UTUVBgZlpDv5rEWPj-JqqJT3xPdsI0YtCEQ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg og.jpg (217.9 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg final.jpg (230.5 KB, 10 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avs Blue shift issue example 1-dotcrawl.avs (6.4 KB, 6 downloads)
02-17-2021, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Maybe FixVHSOversharp won't work in avisynth+ I'm using regular Avisynth 2.6 32-bit. Since this plugin was made in 2003, it was probably built as 32-bit. But I'll attach it here just in case. Included is the .dll and a readme.txt with some help on usage.

Yes, maybe you can reduce the effects a bit in capture. Don't know how many players have it, but the Panasonic AG-1980 is one example of a player with a slider to adjust sharpness which can enhance/add halos when set to high.

Attached Files
File Type: zip FixVHSOversharp2_5.zip (16.7 KB, 5 downloads)
02-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Free Member

themaster1, thanks for the extensive script. It will take a while for me to understand the analyzation and corrections section. I have one question so far. Did you adjust levels and sharpen the image first to make it easier for the following analyze and correction part to do its job better?

Keaton, thanks for FixVHSOversharp. My capture computer is XP based and has VD 1.9 plus AviSynth 2.6. I'll try FixVHSOversharp on it.

My Mitsu HS-HD2000U has a combined DNR and TBC function. I'll turn it off to see if it might be sharpening the image.

Steve